Garnishments and Charge Off's

movinonup

Hello. I am new and am glad I found this board. I have some questions and hope someone can help me.

I have a garnishment on my paychecks and it is supposed to be paid up by the end of October. After it is paid, can I request it be taken off my credit report. Also, will I get a statement saying that it has been paid in full? I have been also wondering if I could just tell payroll to send my check to them and it will be paid off. Can I do that? I only owe about $540 and my next check will cover this.

I have a few charge offs and "open" collection accounts that are supposed to come off in 2009. Is it possible that they will try to come and garnish my wages as well? Should I just wait and see what happens between now and then?

Thanks so much for the help!:)++

Have you pulled copies of your Credit Reports? If not you need to do so. You are entitled to a free one per year. Your wages cannot be garnished without a judgement. One of the things you will learn in this forum is to try and prevent judgements at all cost. Judgements are public records and can stay on your CR for 10 yrs I think. Not sure if they are Paid and yours will be once the garnishment is complete. You will have to do some more reading here.

Dispute all CO accounts on your CR and check the SOL for your state. These things will help you in fighting future judgements and also removing negatives from your CR

Welcome

Moriah

When you say it's supposed to come off in '09, I'm taking it to mean that the SoL for reporting is up at that time. In many states, and depending on what type of debt, the SoL on collecting or suing for judgment is a significantly lesser time.

As Moriah mentioned, it's really important to research your state laws, but assuming you're referring to debts, rather than judgments, a CA should not be able to come after you (or obtain a judgment) because you will have the ultimate defense that the debt is out of SoL.

This does NOT mean that a CA won't try to, however. If they do contact you, make sure you know your state law, and start out by sending them a DV letter. But rather than waiting, it'd be better to take Moriah's advice- check into the SoL for your state, and dispute.

Good luck!