Letter from attorney- old debt - help

I had went back to school a few years ago, then found ourselves with twins. Strapped financially for a long time. Had account with Rooms to Go and paid what we could, when we could at the time. Eventually fell so far behind we defaulted.

Debt was charged off and sold to LVNV who has bothered us for a long while. We have ignored them as we can not afford to pay anything right now and did not want to make contact with these vultures. When we fell behind we owed a little over $2000, now we receive a letter from an in-state (South Carolina) law firm saying we have thirty days to respond and they are acting on behalf of LVNV. The letter says the debt is now the astronomical total of $4900.

The SOL here in SC is 3 years.

1-Should I respond to this law firm or or not? Ask them to verify SOL is not expired? Just ignore them?

2-How do I know when the SOL started or when my last payment was made?

3- If they take me to court, will they summon me at work?

Can they do anything to bank account? We don't have any real estate.

Can you make a payment plan after being taken to court?

Don't know what to do.

Thanks for any help.

Send a debt validation letter ASAP!!!! There are several samples on this site that you can use as a guide. I would definately ask them to show how they came up with that amount.

Not sure about SC but I believ the SOL starts from when you first defaulted. If your monthly payment was $100 a month and you got behind a couple of months, then payed $50 you would not have brought the account current. Hopefully someone here who knows more about SOL will respond.

I'm a twin mom too so I know how you feel! Whatever you do don't ignore it or they can get a default judgement against you.

Send a debt validation letter ASAP!!!! There are several samples on this site that you can use as a guide. I would definately ask them to show how they came up with that amount.

Not sure about SC but I believ the SOL starts from when you first defaulted. If your monthly payment was $100 a month and you got behind a couple of months, then payed $50 you would not have brought the account current. Hopefully someone here who knows more about SOL will respond.

I'm a twin mom too so I know how you feel! Whatever you do don't ignore it or they can get a default judgement against you.