Medical Collection - What constitutes validation?

lolah

I sent a DV to a CA collecting for a medical collection. I never paid it because I did not think I owed it. I disputed it several times over the phone years ago (before I knew about credit repair). The most recent "validation" is a computer printout showing what services were rendered, my name...etc.

But, I STILL don't think that it was charged correctly. I am being charged for a routine exam that was INCLUDED in my coverage. (Annual Pap Smear)

I know medical collections do not fall within the SOL, so I am out of luck there. The charge is for $62.

What is the best way to handle this? Is what they provided "validated info"?

I don't really want a paid collection on my reports if it doesn't help me at all. I was thinking of contacting the OC and asking them to recall the account from collections and pay them directly. Not sure if that would work, but worth a shot maybe?

Not sure which direction to take right now.

Help! :confused:

The most recent "validation" is a computer printout showing what services were rendered, my name...etc.

At a minimum, the debt collector is required to confirm with the creditor the amount being claimed is correct and that the person from whom they are attempting to collect the debt is the person who owes it.

-r

Where did you get that idea?

Something I read on here. I guess I misunderstood...

Now, I am even MORE confused. OMG, this is turning into a nightmare!

So, what type of account is a medical collection?

Written, Open Endend etc...? And, does it fall under the SOL of the state the debt was allegedly incurred in or the state I now reside in?

At a minimum, the debt collector is required to confirm with the creditor the amount being claimed is correct and that the person from whom they are attempting to collect the debt is the person who owes it.

-r

Okay, so how do I know they confirmed with the creditor? Is the printout "confirmation"?

If it's a printout from the doctor's office, with a line item of how the final amount came to what it is, I'd say that's probably not bad validation.

It sounds like your real dispute is with the line items of the bill itself, which the CA has no power over. You need to deal with the OC doctor and find out why the services were not included on insurance. If it should have been included, and they simply failed to file it, I think you may have a case to make them eat those charges.

The only way the bill would not be covered under SOL laws is if the services were rendered by a County Hospital under a government program. This opens up another can of worms for that one. But if you have regular insurance and not under any special medical programs managed by the county then it is eligble for SOL. Hope this didn't confuse you any further. There was a discussion about this a few months ago if you want to try to do a search on it.

The only way the bill would not be covered under SOL laws is if the services were rendered by a County Hospital under a government program. This opens up another can of worms for that one. But if you have regular insurance and not under any special medical programs managed by the county then it is eligble for SOL. Hope this didn't confuse you any further. There was a discussion about this a few months ago if you want to try to do a search on it.

I should have said this before I guess - but I didn't know it would matter. This was while covered under Medicaid. So, that means this DOES NOT fall under the SOL?

IHateCAs was in the original conversation about whether a medical bill falls under SOL depending on the hospital. Not sure how it works with Medicaid but hopefully he will read this and have some insight on how a medical bill through Medicaid would be considered. Sorry I couldn't be of much more help. Trying to work off of memory of that discussion. If he doesn't respond on this topic, try to PM him and see what he says.