need advice

CRoque13

I hope I am in the correct thread here. I am new at all of this and need help.

Last week Sept. 4, 07 I was served papers at my home by a police officer. It is titled "Alias Summons/Notice to appear for pretrial conference/mediation

Apparently I have a credit card dept. I vagely remember this particular card. I was going through some major medical things at the time and a divorce as well. This is from at least 6 years or so ago. I have since moved twice and my last name has changed as I got married 6 months ago, which is probably why they weren't able to serve me before, I looked at the court house info online and it looks like they tried at the address I was living at when I was married to my ex-husband. They are stating I owe $1100. It has been so long I dont remember the exact amount on the CC, fees have been added I am sure. Yesterday, Sept. 10,07, I recieved a letter from the collection agency's attorneys stating that a pre-trial conference is scheduled and they would like to speak to me about resolving the case without the need to appear in court and to please contact their office asap. They say to "call today and see if we can resolve this case prior to the hearing date." Then it says the typical "This communication is from a debt collector....." I have read on this site not to call, no proof of an agreement...

I have not worked in many years and do not have the $ to pay this amount off all at once. I am still with the same medical conditions as they will not go away and we are a 1 income family (I am remarried, have child). I can afford about $50 per month. I know they will try to bully me and get me to agree to something I can not actually follow through with. I do not understand all of the legal and credit jargon. I was never able to ask for validation since I never have recieved anything from them in the past as I had been moving around and I suppose they found me since my license has been recently changed.

I need advise on what to do now. I would truely appreciate it. The court date is set for Nov. 13. I live in Florida if that helps. I can not aford an attorney, if I could, I would be able to afford to pay they amount they say I owe.

* The court papers say Palisades Collection LLC, Assignee of Providian National Bank, a corporation and the papers received yesterday are from Rubin and Debski, P.A.

When I was served, there was a credit card agreement attached from Providian, but NOTHING with my signature on it. Just the typical agreement they send to everyone.

TIA,

Candi R.

CROQUE@tampabay.rr.com

I hope I am in the correct thread here. I am new at all of this and need help.

You need to start your own thread. Tailing it at the end of this one, no one is likely to see it or respond.

Also, it isn't wise to use your real name or email on the boards. If people need to reach you, they can use the private message function.