Dunning by email?

Well... after my initial shock over it coming through email, I actually did a more thorough read. Is it a dunning letter at all? How many violations are there in this note?

AIS Services, LLC has purchased your account from ****** (OC). The outstanding balance as of today is $570.00.

We value you as a customer, and want to work with you on settling this account. We are offering you:

• A private and totally secure website for making an offer on this account for less than you owe.
  • The convenience of making your payment(s) online.
  • The pleasure of clearing your account without ever talking to a collector.
  • Flexibility to schedule a payment today and not pay anything for up to 14 days.

It is quick and easy:

1. Just click on this link to log into the website

2. Enter your account number and last four digits of your social security number.

3. Through a few simple steps you can verify your account information, and tell us what and when you can pay to settle this account.

4. When your offer is accepted, and you make the required payment(s) YOU WILL OWE NOTHING MORE ON THIS ACCOUNT.

Please log on now to : Website address here

We know you want to honor your obligations. Take advantage of our online settlement tool today. Should you have any questions concerning this account please feel free to contact us at 1-800-*******.

Thank you.

Account Representative

(Please do not respond to this email)

My initial thoughts:

Where's the mini-miranda? The fact that they "purchased" the account as they state makes them a collector or JDB of some sort.

There is no address listed and they say do not respond to the email, so how am I supposed to DV? Aren't they taking away my right to dispute here?

By logging in, I can verify my account information.... how convenient for them since they probably don't already have it!

They have a website: http://www.aisservicesllc.com/ which clearly states they are a collection firm, so they are covered under FDCPA right??

Comments or suggestions anyone?

Well... after my initial shock over it coming through email, I actually did a more thorough read. Is it a dunning letter at all? How many violations are there in this note?

AIS Services, LLC has purchased your account from ****** (OC). The outstanding balance as of today is $570.00.

We value you as a customer, and want to work with you on settling this account. We are offering you:

• A private and totally secure website for making an offer on this account for less than you owe.
  • The convenience of making your payment(s) online.
  • The pleasure of clearing your account without ever talking to a collector.
  • Flexibility to schedule a payment today and not pay anything for up to 14 days.

It is quick and easy:

1. Just click on this link to log into the website

2. Enter your account number and last four digits of your social security number.

3. Through a few simple steps you can verify your account information, and tell us what and when you can pay to settle this account.

4. When your offer is accepted, and you make the required payment(s) YOU WILL OWE NOTHING MORE ON THIS ACCOUNT.

Please log on now to : Website address here

We know you want to honor your obligations. Take advantage of our online settlement tool today. Should you have any questions concerning this account please feel free to contact us at 1-800-*******.

Thank you.

Account Representative

(Please do not respond to this email)

My initial thoughts:

Where's the mini-miranda? The fact that they "purchased" the account as they state makes them a collector or JDB of some sort.

There is no address listed and they say do not respond to the email, so how am I supposed to DV? Aren't they taking away my right to dispute here?

By logging in, I can verify my account information.... how convenient for them since they probably don't already have it!

They have a website: http://www.aisservicesllc.com/ which clearly states they are a collection firm, so they are covered under FDCPA right??

Comments or suggestions anyone?

1 - no mini-miranda. if this is first communication - VIOLATION

2 - third party communication....how do they KNOW FOR A FACT that this email acc't belongss to you? It could be anyone! - VIOLATION (IMO)

Dive or anyone else can probably find more violations in this...i just did a quick skim.

So basically, all they have is your email address? Where would they have gotten that? Its not on your credit reports...

I'm thinking this is a phishing expedition. You log on to there site, give them an account number, and the last four digits of your SS#...and send them money. Tell you what...send me the money, and you don't even have to bother with the other stuff. That's the last you'll hear from me about that debt...

Really. Right click on the message. Click on "Options". See where the message actually came from...

• Like 1

So basically, all they have is your email address? Where would they have gotten that? Its not on your credit reports...

I'm thinking this is a phishing expedition. You log on to there site, give them an account number, and the last four digits of your SS#...and send them money. Tell you what...send me the money, and you don't even have to bother with the other stuff. That's the last you'll hear from me about that debt...

Really. Right click on the message. Click on "Options". See where the message actually came from...

The OC was an account of mine and since I have a commercial website, a quick google of my name is going to give them the email address. The OC would have had my mailing address and my business phone number, which is also listed on the website so they can't claim this was their only way to contact me. If they got my email, then they must have found my website.

So do I go ahead and DV this thing? I can get their mailing address off their website.

Dive... Methuss... anyone???

1 - no mini-miranda. if this is first communication - VIOLATION

2 - third party communication....how do they KNOW FOR A FACT that this email acc't belongss to you? It could be anyone! - VIOLATION (IMO)

Dive or anyone else can probably find more violations in this...i just did a quick skim.

Yes this is a first and only communication from them or the OC. Actually this account represents the remaining balance on an account that I disputed with the OC. I paid the part that I felt I owed and refused the pay the balance that was in dispute.

Again, right click on the message and see where it was sent from. If this is indeed a message from a JDB, they've violated all kinds of FDCPA stuff...you need to find an address so you can send them an ITS.

While not specifically mentioned in the FDCPA, email certainly qualifies as "first communication"...you should (legally) be receiving something by snail-mail within 5 days. If not, then there's another violation.

Yes, in the list of messages in your "in box", point to the message...left click ONCE to highlight the message, and then right click to show the "drop down menu"...down at the bottom, is "Options"...click on that, and you'll see the "Internet headers:" at the bottom. Scroll through that and it will tell you who actually sent it...

I could be totally wrong, but if I recieved an email like that, my first thought would be scam...

I wouldn't reply, or call, or click any link in that email... I would take the names given and google for contact info. If it were a scam, most likely google would reveal that as well....

Just another opinion...