Small Claims

I sued Gamache and Myers, a law firm, under the FCRA and FDCA. The judge ruled in their favor. Now I have a judgement against me because they counterclaimed for attorneys fees.

The person that represented them was a lawyer. According to MO small claims ruled there can not be an attorney for the parties. Should the law firm have sent a a paralegal or something???

And can I file a void judgement since the rules of the court were not filed?

Thanks!

I sued Gamache and Myers, a law firm, under the FCRA and FDCA. The judge ruled in their favor. Now I have a judgement against me because they counterclaimed for attorneys fees.

The person that represented them was a lawyer. According to MO small claims ruled there can not be an attorney for the parties. Should the law firm have sent a a paralegal or something???

And can I file a void judgement since the rules of the court were not filed?

Thanks!

You may want to do some additional checking into your Rules of Procedure. A corporation must be represented by an attorney.

If YOU are suing for FDCPA/FCRA you should do it in the US District court nearest you... Federal court. If you are countersuing them, in thier suit in state court, then that's fine.

But it is a very rare thing for a good faith FDCPA suit to end up costing the consumer attorney's fee's. Sounds like the judge didn't know squat about the law.

Would these procedures be in the small claims statutes?

I am really confused about all this!

The information you are looking for can be found in the Missouri Statutes, Title 32, Chapter 482.

A quick read confirms that attorneys are allowed in small claims court in Missouri.