I DV'd the CA , they sent back junk! (from the other board)

Sorry, I think this should have been on this board I put it on the collections board. Sorry for the dupe!

Mark

This CA has sent me letters repeatedly over the past 4 years+. I never responded to any of them or made a payment (old medical bill) . The SOL was up 01/07. (that's 4 years for California).

I sent them a DV letter, along with a dispute to the CRA's, last month.

Today I received a reply letter from the CA:

"Recently, you disputed the above referenced account that appears on your credit report with the major credit bureaus. We have verified that this account which was assigned on 01/03/03 is a valid debt owed by you. You may now contact our office to receive information on how to change this unpaid collection item to a more favorable rating".

"This is an attempt to collect a debt, and any information obtained will be used for that purpose".

I've read this site til the wee hours more than a few times, and not sure what my next move is. Do I have them on a violation now that they are attempting to collect an SOL debt?

Thanks for everyone's help, you guys are terrific.

Mark.

If that is all that they sent you in response to a DV, you could try a 2nd DV giving them 15 days because that was not a proper validation.. Complaint to BBB, FTC, and AG after that.... You are obviously out of the 30 day window, but try anyway. I just got an CA to come off this way even though the debt was 2 years old. Dispute again with the CRA's during the next phase.. just in case it worked.

Everytime you can get a CA to respond to a letter is one more chance for them to screw up and violate, or send you a form letter with the 30 day window on it. If it's SOL I say keep kicking them with DV's or questions on the account and see what they send back. I have got a few CA's to screw up and send a 30 day dispute letter. Got one about a month ago on a account that was 6 years old. I'm just waiting for them to verifiy the 1-2 punch or let it be deleted. If they are smart, it'll be gone in a week or so. If not, well, they will get another letter informing them of their continued collection activity and not repyling to my timely (hahahahahahahaahahahaha) dv. After that, court.