*sighs*Let the games begin!

Rick9972

Hey there Rick, not sure how much help this would be, but I've had alot of these. I carry the health insurance for the family and that pretty much puts the financial responsibility on just me. All bills come in my name, even if my wife sees the doctor. And the ones that have been in collections have only affected my credit report. I *believe* when you have health insurance, the holder of the policy is the one financially responsible for the bill. So this would translate that it would only hit one of your CRs. Unless you had secondary health insurance where each spouse carries one.

But from my experience, the holder of the policy is the one who gets dinged by CA's if it goes to them. My wife has never had a medical collections on her CR b/c I've always carried the health insurance. Me on the other hand had a lot of them at one time.

I'm not sure if this is Texas or generally holds elsewhere, or just happened that way, but from how I understood it (also from the forms you fill out at the doctor/hospital) the financially responsible party is the policy holder. Every form from a doc I remember seeing that we've filled out has that in there.

So if you used health insurance and only one of you held the policy, I'd argue that the financially responsible party is the policy holder and not both (of course this may vary with state law).

Hey Rick, I tend to agree with you: they should not be on both of your reports. Its strange they are doing that... well not that strange, it is a CA. They just want to maximize the hell they can wreck on you. Since you said you carry the insurance, it should only be on your CR and that has been my experience as well. For better or worse, my wife's CR is pretty clean and mine used to be "dirtied" up by alot of medical collections, mostly from wife's medical condition, but her CR was NEVER hit by these bills, just mine.

I believe your next step would either for your wife to dispuate the items on her CR or have her DV the CA: she'd say something along the lines "You are on my credit report, why??"

Also, how would they have your wife's social or info to put on her CR? WHen the CA got the bill from the doctor or hospital, I would imagine it would have your info as you are the financially responsible party, along with the date of service for the procedure and the patient name. Perhaps the OC gave them your wife's info along with it but I'd tend to think they had no reason to do this, you are the person that is responsible for paying from their point of view.

Just one more thing, if you can locate your Explanation of Benefits that you received from your insurance company regarding the above procedures, verify the amounts they claim you owe are what the insurance says you owe. Believe me, doctors and hospitals will over charge you or double charge you fairly often. But just don't take the word from the doctor that this is the amount owed, double check. If you don't have them, look online (if you still use same insurance) or call them, they can tell you voer the phone or fax them to you.

You may have already done the above but we ran into this for about 60-75% of my wife's medical bills. We'd be overcharged consistently. My wife would have a stack of EOBs about 2 inches thick, no kidding, and she'd spend days upon days calling doctors and such to get them to charge correctly.

Very interesting question TXtrouble, I have always carried the insurance and have had the same insurance for over 10 years. Up until very recently most of the medical bills were for my wife or child. However I have always been the responsible party. So why is the OC reporting them to CA under my wife's name? Then the CA is attaching them to my report.