a OC referred me to the CRA when I dispute?

daryl83

so, I have a paid CC with the OC and the trade line states that I was 90 days past due and that they, the OC, closed the card. Would be great, but I was not late and I closed that card myself. I sent them a letter asking to correct that account and give me a positive TL for the account.

Today, I received a letter that states, "All Credit One Bank accounts are reported to credit agencies every 30 days. If you are disputing the payment history of this account, you will need to contact the credit bureaus directely."

Now, I did dispute this information. The results of the investigation are still pending according to my most recent copy of of my credit reports. (but that may have changed as my newest report is a week old.)

I suppose my question is this: If the OC cannot send me proof the 90 day deliquency and cannot prove that they closed the account and not me. Why would they refer me to the CRA which is essentially a third party? If they cant provide the proper proof arent they obligated to correct the info? Ive read on this site how "verification" with the CRA's work. Should I nutcase these guys?

what should I do?

If it is still pending, then just wait for it to be done, and send them another letter. It is actually in your best interest this way. Read this http://creditinfocenter.com/repair/DisputingWithOriginalCreditor.shtml

I would basically send the same letter you already sent, but after the dispute with the Credit bureau's is done and add the line, "I have already disputed with the 3 credit bureau's."

I snipped this piece from the link in the last post:

While case law has established for the past few years that the Original Creditor (O.C.) can be held liable for reporting inaccurate information (Richardson vs. Fleet, Nelson vs. Chase Manhattan ), the FACTA legislation passed recently allows the consumer to go directly to the original creditor and dispute information which the original creditor (called the information furnisher) in the FCRA, has supplied to the credit bureaus.

However before disputing with the original creditor, the CONSUMER MUST HAVE DISPUTED WITH THE CREDIT BUREAUS

According to the above quote, the oc in the following quote is wrong.

Today, I received a letter that states, "All Credit One Bank accounts are reported to credit agencies every 30 days. If you are disputing the payment history of this account, you will need to contact the credit bureaus directely."

Original post by: daryl83

I suppose my question is this: If the OC cannot send me proof the 90 day deliquency and cannot prove that they closed the account and not me. Why would they refer me to the CRA which is essentially a third party? If they cant provide the proper proof arent they obligated to correct the info? Ive read on this site how "verification" with the CRA's work. Should I nutcase these guys?

I agree with the previous poster that you wait for the cra to respond. The cra may settle the issue for you and you'll be done.

If you wish to proceed before getting an answer from the cra then you'll need to explain to the oc that you are asking for an investigation rather than disputing a discrepancy.