Help with Collection SOL!!!!

So, I have this colllection account that was scheduled to fall off early in 2008. The first collection, Paragon way, sold it to Txcollect, and now "date assigned" is 2007. The customer service rep from equifax told me now it will fall off in 2014? Ha, isnt this a clear violation? Regardless how many collection agencies owen the account, they can not change the date right? I did read about this and its a violation but I just want to make sure and I am looking a feedback from the experienced folks in here. Hope to hear from you soon. Thank you.

i think the CSR at equifax doesn't know what he or she is talking about.

IF the DOFD has been changed then yeah it's a violation. if NOT, and the CSR is just full of sh!t, then it's not.

Well, the DOFD is has not changed, BUT since this collection is assigned within the last 6 months, my FICO score watch recognized this account as being the major reason for my score decrease (recent collection). When, in fact, it was sold to another collection agency. So, the fico software sees the "date assigned" to compute the score. But, I feel better now that I got a positive feedback.