What should my credit score be at so I know when to apply for credit cards?

:confused:What should my credit score be at so I know when to apply for credit cards?

I read around 680 for good interest rates. But I am thinking maybe sooner to help raise my score. I see some people with credit cards way before 680. So I was wondering what my score should be, the earliest I could obtain them.

You should get a secured credit card and a department store one. My scores were around yours exactly this time last year, and just have a secured credit credit card and 2 department store cc's, my score has increased over 120 pts. (all 3 CRA's). You might not get the same results as I did, but my scores were around 520.

If I were you - get a secured credit card and a department store one. Good Luck!

PS - Secured credit card I had - Bank of America

Department stores - Macy's and Express

good idea, esquire :p

Once your real FICO scores get to be around 600, you should be able to get a Hooters card or a Capital One card (relatively easy approvals at those scores)...

What are your goals in the next few years? Do you want a house or a new car? If you don't need a new car in a year or two...you don't need to sprint up to 700.

:)++Esquire, Thank you! That is so helpful!

:)++Amerikaner83, Thank you also. Gosh you guys are great here. My goal is to buy a house in one year. So I took a home ownership course and realized I must get my credit in order before anything else.:)

Does this sound about right? I just read this online.

If it is 0-619 you are only eligible for bad credit cards, if it is 620-659 it is regarded fair, and if the score is above 660 you credit is good and you can apply for the best cards.

http://www.credit-land.com/1050/1050_page_12779_23254_120.php

I think that's a general...not sure if I believe it 100% though.

I got CapitalOne with less than 600. it may not be a "prime" card....but it's a HELL of a lot better than secured. Sure, you may not be able to get a AMEX until your scores reach 700+...but do you NEED an AMEX?

Citi, CapOne, and Barclay's (IMO) are "good" cards. And they approve with lower scores than AMEX even thinks of.

If you want a house in the next year, I would mainly focus on deleting baddies. Adding new ones is a good idea as well - but I think no negatives is better than some neg's and a few positives.

My scores were in the mid 500's and went to www.hsbc.com site and they do a soft pull to first tell you what cards you qualify for. That way you aren't just applying and continuing to get declined. I got an unsecured orchard platium card. I really like its at 14.9 I think the fee was 79 dollars for $300.00cl. I also got a rewards 660 but they have kind of high fees. and I got the crown jewelers 1500 cl . My scores went down for about a month and then increased about 100 pts so it was worth the inquiries. I hope this information helps!!xdancex

My scores were in the mid 500's and went to www.hsbc.com site and they do a soft pull to first tell you what cards you qualify for. That way you aren't just applying and continuing to get declined. I got an unsecured orchard platium card. I really like its at 14.9 I think the fee was 79 dollars for $300.00cl. I also got a rewards 660 but they have kind of high fees. and I got the crown jewelers 1500 cl . My scores went down for about a month and then increased about 100 pts so it was worth the inquiries. I hope this information helps!!xdancex

:)++Wow! Interesting answer! I like it! Where on the web site should I look? I do not see where to go to see what they qua;ify you for credit cards.

I searched for credit cards on your link and it came up with this link. Is this the link? http://www.us.hsbc.com/1/2/3/personal/cards

PS.

I read this and someone was declined.HSBC: EX (Reported FICO Score: 550) Declined

http://debt-consolidation-credit-repair-service.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250192

This site has lists of cards given to people, it includes what their scores were

Whogavemecredit.com

Heres what I would do, start with Crown Jewelers, they give a 1500.00 credit line to start off with, buy something small and make a payment...they will start reporting...

Then when you have that 1500.00 CL reporting, then apply for more cards as some cards base your CL on the cards you have now...If you have 1 300.00 CL, then thats all someone else may give you...1500 looks real good

Look at my signature, those are my cards in less than 2 months from a 500.00 secured to 3500.00 unsecured, You can do it, just do it right..

Good luck

This site has lists of cards given to people, it includes what their scores were

Whogavemecredit.com

Heres what I would do, start with Crown Jewelers, they give a 1500.00 credit line to start off with, buy something small and make a payment...they will start reporting...

Then when you have that 1500.00 CL reporting, then apply for more cards as some cards base your CL on the cards you have now...If you have 1 300.00 CL, then thats all someone else may give you...1500 looks real good

Look at my signature, those are my cards in less than 2 months from a 500.00 secured to 3500.00 unsecured, You can do it, just do it right..

Good luck

:)++Thanks WhoCares! Your name still makes me laugh out loud everytime I see it!:lol: Great name.

AMERIKANER83, You are so wonderful all the time. I really appreciate the time you ALWAYS give me. Great advice! Your dog looks very nice! I love dogs. I have two.

Cinnabon's her name - she's half Labrador half Chow Chow :p

I've gotten 5 new accounts in the last 2 months...just waiting for the score jump - letting the TL's simmer a little bit :p

And any secured card is always good - it doubles as a savings account, which is a good benefit. :p

I'm glad I could help, Jason! Once you started on the credit repair path, it gets addicting but also fun! You can see your scores increase, and it's great when you start getting those pre-approved mail offers again. :) Just keep your head up, and I read the book they offer on this site as well as, Young, Fabulous, and Broke by Suze Orman. :) She saved me about a year ago! Sept. 20 with mark the date I started my credit repair journey a year ago, and I really can't complain.

So yea, get a secured credit card - a lot of members on CIC have requested Orchard and I had a GREAT one through Bank of America. Paid $99 bucks and they gave me a line of credit for $500. Within a year of timely payments, staying under 35% of the credit limit - BAM! Became an unsecured CC and then I applied for the Hooter's card with a credit score of 620. Oh yeah, and get a department store one, too, and then just leave the credit cards a lone for about 4-6 months until your credit score starts rising.

GL and please let us know about your progress! :)