Brokeback bar

lyle7289

Is posting a gay joke on a forum considered more appropriate than posting a black joke on a forum?

Just curious. Because if someone on here posted a joke about anyone of any particular ethnicity, or using any words that are particularly offensive such as "n!gger", I'm sure the mods would boot them from the boards.

Just seems to me like common sense would prevent people from posting discriminatory jokes of any nature in a public forum, especially when we're all here to help one another and not offend.

..Just a thought.

I agree with newbie, if it was offensive, I'm sure it would be pulled. I have actually come across this place in real life - I was looking for directions -not knowing this place was an alternative lifestyle joint. Let me tell you, you have not lived untill you see men two stepping together

I agree with newbie, if it was offensive, I'm sure it would be pulled. I have actually come across this place in real life - I was looking for directions - not knowing this place was an alternative lifestyle joint. Let me tell you, you have not lived until you see men two stepping together.

It's interesting to me that the people on these forums don't find this to be inappropriate in any way and/or have the audacity to state that I am taking "political correctness" too far. I'm 100% sure that if anyone would've posted an ethnicity-related joke which offended any users of the forums that happened to be of that particular ethnicity, no one would be telling that person that they were being too politically correct.

I don't necessarily think that it's about being "too politically correct", I think that it's about respect.

If I changed the last line of the above quote to "Let me tell you, you have not lived until you've seen two n!ggers stepping together." ... I'm sure that I'd be banned from the forums and half of the people on here would've ripped me a new @sshole (no pun intended) for the comment.

Interesting debate to those of you who posted...Why is there a difference between discrimination based upon sexual orientation and ethnicity?

EDIT: This was posted at the same time as the Admin's post requesting the topic to be discontinued. However, I find the OP's response incredibly ironic. At the same time as the apology comes the line of "get a grip" and the automatic assumption that this post offended me due to my sexual orientation? Has it ever occurred to anyone that someone may find something offensive even if the particular topic doesn't directly apply to them?

:?

Please.

this post did not in anyway even come close to putting down, or make offense at homosexuality.

Get a grip. It was not intended to offend you or your sexual preference. I apologize if it did.

8]

Offense is in the eye of the offended, true, but that should tell you something - maybe you should be more aware of what is offensive to people. Just a thought.

Good lord. :(

People need to lighten up a little. I do not deserve the third degree as I am not 3. I did apologize and remove the post. I have helped hundreds of people here, and developed several "on-line" friendships. I do not think that I have ever posted anything here that was "harmfull" or out of line to our members. I do take in to consideration peoples beliefs and or sensitivities.

If "we" were to be "more aware" of what might be considered "offensive" then the majority of these posts would fall under that rule and hundreds of members would be to blame.

Such as

No old jokes as there might be members that have a grandma that is old.

No blonde jokes beacuse there are blonde members

No Irish, Italian or polish jokes ........

I think everyone is guilty of posting or posting a response to one of those.

She (lovebug5) put me in the same catagory with calling someone the "N" word. Please......

She (lovebug5) put me in the same catagory with calling someone the "N" word. Please......

My intention by replying to the OP was not to cause a stir which resulted in rude comments that followed. Instead, it was to post a point that the joke was offensive - at least to me. An apology, which was never asked for, was given - but with sarcastic comments which weren't warranted. I don't think it matters who you are, where you came from or what you believe in...But I do think that people should have respect for one another.

That's all I'm trying to say here...And I don't see how anyone on these forums can disagree with that last remark.

Gotta agree with Lyle on this one. Off Topic has always been a bit in the toilet..........which has endeared it to me :D There was nothing disparaging about the joke in the slightest. I think that is where the line should be drawn. Was it insulting to anyone? Not in my opinion. Which is truly the problem.........what is insulting to one person is not to another.

I was way more offended by the language used in the response....exclamation point or not. I think lovebug took it too entirely different level, and did so with malice. Lyle meant the joke just to put a smile on everyone's face.........I guess lovebug needs to look at what exactly his/her intention was. Causing sh!t.....stirring up sh!t.....is just as offensive in my opinion.

Just the $0.02 of the redheaded Irish Texan Four-Eyed B!tch...........joke at will!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gotta agree with Lyle on this one. Off Topic has always been a bit in the toilet..........which has endeared it to me :D There was nothing disparaging about the joke in the slightest. I think that is where the line should be drawn. Was it insulting to anyone? Not in my opinion. Which is truly the problem.........what is insulting to one person is not to another.

I was way more offended by the language used in the response....exclamation point or not. I think lovebug took it too entirely different level, and did so with malice. Lyle meant the joke just to put a smile on everyone's face.........I guess lovebug needs to look at what exactly his/her intention was. Causing sh!t.....stirring up sh!t.....is just as offensive in my opinion.

Just the $0.02 of the redheaded Irish Texan Four-Eyed B!tch...........joke at will!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, this is most definitely turning into a heated situation.

Red-headed, from Texas, four-eyed or not, to accuse me of responding with a malicious intention is absolutely ludicrous! I responded with that intentionally, to bring up a point - that is very clearly not being seen for whatever reason. And, since my response, not one single person who has replied and turned the finger of blame on me has been able to answer my question.

Is there a difference between mocking/joking about someone's ethnicity and their sexual orientation?

You were obviously offended by my referencing of an insulting term, yes? Ironic. Very ironic.

Accuse me of being malicious, accuse me of being too politically correct. But there is a big difference between toilet humor and offensive humor, and your sarcasm at the end of your post is just further proof that respect isn't necessarily a priority...Which proves my entire point.

Love bug.. I've been with you on a lot of post on here but not this one

I used the word MEN as in describing a male, weather they were straight/gay or whatever, it was a country bar and I saw MEN in cowboy hats two-stepping. You obviously misread because I DID NOT SAY "you haven't lived untill you've seen F**'s two stepping, I do not use those word's, nor feel the sentiment behind them.

When I lived in NY I lived within 7 blocks of 5 gay bars- seeing men dancing together doesn't phase me, just not a bunch of cowboys, threw me off-wasn't expected.

To help put it in perspective for you I had the same reaction when my friend's ultra-conservative mom was doing the macerena at her wedding-It's just something I'd never thought I'd see.

Love bug.. I've been with you on a lot of post on here but not this one

I used the word MEN as in describing a male, weather they were straight/gay or whatever, it was a country bar and I saw MEN in cowboy hats two-stepping. You obviously misread because I DID NOT SAY "you haven't lived untill you've seen F**'s two stepping, I do not use those word's, nor feel the sentiment behind them.

When I lived in NY I lived within 7 blocks of 5 gay bars- seeing men dancing together doesn't phase me, just not a bunch of cowboys, threw me off-wasn't expected.

To help put it in perspective for you I had the same reaction when my friend's ultra-conservative mom was doing the macerena at her wedding-It's just something I'd never thought I'd see.

Sweet, when I changed the last line of your message that was not directed at you...I was attempting to make a point - which you got.

The fact that people became up in arms because I changed that sentence and used the terminology that I used was just proof that words can be offensive - whether they're slang or put together to mock people.

Wow, this is most definitely turning into a heated situation.
And wasn't that exactly what you wanted??? To infer any differently is what is ludicrous.
And, since my response, not one single person who has replied and turned the finger of blame on me has been able to answer my question.
Actually it has.........several times. But you're too busy stirring up more sh!t under the guise of being intrigued by a situation to actually pay attention to what anyone is saying.

Ironic.............passive aggressive is more like it.

And wasn't that exactly what you wanted??? To infer any differently is what is ludicrous.

Actually it has.........several times. But you're too busy stirring up more sh!t under the guise of being intrigued by a situation to actually pay attention to what anyone is saying.

Ironic.............passive aggressive is more like it.

I've been accused of being too politically correct. I've been accused of being intentionally malicious. I've been accused of intentionally stirring up sh!t. I've been accused of being passive-aggressive.

And it's interesting because nowhere in my posts have I accused anyone of being anything but incredibly disrespectful. I have not accused any of you of being homophobic, I have not accused any of you of being unintelligent, childish, or anything of the sort. I have simply said, multiple times, that respect seems to be an issue that some people lack.

Yet that has been twisted and turned around by someone who has accused me of being passive-aggressive.

Please, by all means, point out to me precisely where YOU have answered the question of:

"Is there a difference between mocking/joking about someone's ethnicity and their sexual orientation?"

The only thing that you said in your post that was even remotely related to my question was this:

"There was nothing disparaging about the joke in the slightest. I think that is where the line should be drawn. Was it insulting to anyone? Not in my opinion. Which is truly the problem.........what is insulting to one person is not to another."

And that paragraph in no way answers the question.

Continue to make accusations, attempt to insult me, etc. But obviously I stand behind my question - which is why you find there to be a difference in what is acceptable and what is not? When people cannot directly answer a question that is blatantly asked multiple times, they have no room to accuse.

I'd much rather hear you be blunt and give any answer - even if your personal beliefs are that homosexuality is disgusting and people's ethnicity isn't. But please - if you're going to spend your time insulting me, let's debate like adults and not throw out insults.

Apparently your insulted quite easily.

Let's try this, and I'll be as blunt as possible.......before this thread gets locked....which it will no doubt very soon.

The terminology you used is disparaging no matter the context. You used it freely, although you cleverly attempted to make it appear that you did not by the use of an exclamation point. It is so disparaging in fact that the NAACP just held a huge ceremony/funeral for it. There is no instance where the use of that word could not be construed as anything other than insulting.

There was not one thing in that joke that disparaged homosexuals. It was a joke for heaven's sake. A light-hearted one at that. It was even pretty darn tame....didn't even have any obscene language. The joke wasn't even making fun of sexual preference so it was not poking at sexual orientation. It was a joke about what they called their dicks and why. Change it to redneck.....and would you have been so offended?

Your question and feigned indignation were what has twisted and turned this entire thing.

I'd like to know what exactly offended you so much about the joke that you felt the need to start this sh!tstorm. How you could be so offended by something that was meant in jest that you could not stand quietly by?

Apparently your insulted quite easily.

Let's try this, and I'll be as blunt as possible.......before this thread gets locked....which it will no doubt very soon.

The terminology you used is disparaging no matter the context. You used it freely, although you cleverly attempted to make it appear that you did not by the use of an exclamation point. It is so disparaging in fact that the NAACP just held a huge ceremony/funeral for it. There is no instance where the use of that word could not be construed as anything other than insulting.

There was not one thing in that joke that disparaged homosexuals. It was a joke for heaven's sake. A light-hearted one at that. It was even pretty darn tame....didn't even have any obscene language. The joke wasn't even making fun of sexual preference so it was not poking at sexual orientation. It was a joke about what they called their dicks and why. Change it to redneck.....and would you have been so offended?

Your question and feigned indignation were what has twisted and turned this entire thing.

I'd like to know what exactly offended you so much about the joke that you felt the need to start this sh!tstorm. How you could be so offended by something that was meant in jest that you could not stand quietly by?

Again Newbie, if you're going to hold a debate with me, at least do it in an adult manner without your insults. You are obviously an intelligent, red-headed, Texas-based, woman with what I believe to be multiple eyes - but I'm attempting to make a point...Not cause a sh!tstorm. This thread is being read and responded to by five individuals - the OP, myself, Sweet, yourself and the Admin. If it were a sh!tstorm, I would think that I would have the entire CIC membership throwing accusations in my direction.

And yes, I do become insulted pretty easily. Why? Because when I am attempting to make a point and someone uses a twist of my point to defend themselves, it bothers me. Why? Because I am an adult and I believe in intelligent and adult-based debate. I do not believe in throwing insults out at complete strangers who I know nothing about just because I may disagree with them.

These forums are filled with members of all different lifestyles. From financial backgrounds, careers, ethnicities and more. To come on these forums and proclaim that my use of a very offensive slang word is different from posting anything that mocks another human being, knowing that everyone here is most likely drastically different in every way (aside from poor credit, perhaps), doesn't make sense to me.

And did I really, really need to preface anything that I said in my previous posts? When something is incredibly obvious there should be no need for a preface. Based upon what I said, the context in which I was using that term was obvious - it was being used to make a point. If you take the time to read through my original reply to the OP, you will see that my use of the term which you find so incredibly offensive was indeed prefaced within the sentence:

"Because if someone on here posted a joke about anyone of any particular ethnicity, or using any words that are particularly offensive such as "n!gger", I'm sure the mods would boot them from the boards."

Very clearly, in my original post, did I state that the word was offensive. So under absolutely no circumstance can anyone attempt to say that my use of that word was intentionally used to be malicious, as you have.

So again, the whole point of my post still stays.

Why is it completely okay for someone to post a "joke" that directly relates to the gay lifestyle, mocks the gay lifestyle and very clearly makes reference to the fact that the penis is "made for a woman"...Yet you're doing everything in your power to condemn me for using a slang term in appropriate context to prove my point?

Again Newbie, if you're going to hold a debate with me, at least do it in an adult manner without your insults.
Oh sweetie I have in no way even begun to be insulting, so let's just leave that one alone. But if you keep insisting that I am being insulting, I can certainly comply.
Very clearly, in my original post, did I state that the word was offensive. So under absolutely no circumstance can anyone attempt to say that my use of that word was intentionally used to be malicious, as you have.

Frankly, I did not say that your use of that word was malicious. I said the entire point of the post was malicious. If you're going to imply that I'm insulting you, at least get the insults right.

... and very clearly makes reference to the fact that the penis is "made for a woman"...Yet you're doing everything in your power to condemn me for using a slang term in appropriate context to prove my point?
Well there finally seems to be the root of the problem. The joke didn't imply that the penis is meant for a woman. It said that the cowboy's penis was meant for a woman. One man. His penis. How is the gay man calling his penis a Timex, 'cause it takes a licking and keeps on ticking, disparaging the gay man? It's not. It says he's got stamina.

Oh sweetie I have in no way even begun to be insulting, so let's just leave that one alone. But if you keep insisting that I am being insulting, I can certainly comply.

Frankly, I did not say that your use of that word was malicious. I said the entire point of the post was malicious. If you're going to imply that I'm insulting you, at least get the insults right.

Well there finally seems to be the root of the problem. The joke didn't imply that the penis is meant for a woman. It said that the cowboy's penis was meant for a woman. One man. His penis. How is the gay man calling his penis a Timex, 'cause it takes a licking and keeps on ticking, disparaging the gay man? It's not. It says he's got stamina.

LOL - regardless of any argument taking place here, the very last line of your post had me laughing because the last thing I was expecting was to read the word "stamina." That was most definitely a good one that I appreciated. ;)

That being said, I have absolutely no desire to see what your true insulting nature is like. Truth be told, I don't want to see that side of anyone - even a stranger behind a computer screen. I think throwing insults around and/or threatening to throw even further insults around is just a waste of finger energy if you're going to type it into a post. You have no reason to insult me just as I have no reason to insult you. That's a fact - now let's press onward.

The fact of the matter is that the joke that was posted could've been taken in many different contexts depending on who was reading it. The pun behind it and the specific content within it is completely subjective, when you really think about it. Most jokes that are based around any aspect of a human being, whether it's their sexuality or their hair color (as was previously referenced regarding blonde jokes), aren't written based upon the specific individual in the joke. Blonde jokes about how slutty they are aren't written about that specific blonde in the joke - they're written about all blondes. That really can't be argued. So to some people who don't take the context of all jokes literally word-by-word, the meaning is generalized. As was said earlier by the OP...

No old jokes as there might be members that have a grandma that is old.

No blonde jokes beacuse there are blonde members

No Irish, Italian or polish jokes ........

All of the above? Those jokes are generalizations about the people that they reference. And to some people, not you, the context of the joke was a generalization and when it comes to this specific topic...Those generalizations are pretty offensive. Especially when you have a parent, sibling or other family member who happens to be gay.

So to anyone that I accidentally offended by referencing a slang word which I clearly stated was offensive (and that cannot be argued either), I'm terribly sorry. I did not mean to be offensive in any way. I thought that a genuine, adult-based conversation was going to be the end result and I was terribly wrong. Somehow, I ended up becoming the bad guy...And it was never my intention to be the bad guy, call anyone the bad guy, etc.

All I was saying, from my very first post, is that I don't understand how it is okay to post jokes relating to the topic of sexual orientation when posting jokes relating to specific ethnicities would be immediately banned and the users would most likely be banned as well. That was my point.

My point was never to offend the OP...Or Sweet...Or the red-headed, Texas-based, multiple-eyed chick who has actually kept me going all day.