Mel S. Harris not licensed by NY DCA ?

charlanyc

I did a License search (thanks to Tylemcorp) -

https://a069-webapps1.nyc.gov/dca_new/index.cfm

and did not find M. Harris or its company Pinpoint Technologies.

I did a Google search and found other consumers claiming that they're not licensed. Yet they have over 12,000 civil court cases in one NYC county!

Update: I just reread the law :“any attorney-at-law collecting a debt as an attorney on behalf of and in the name of a client.” is exempt:

New York City Administrative Code § 20-489 (a) (5)

So M. Harris is exempt, but Pinpoint Technologies isnt. How should I address this in court?

Original post by: charlanyc

Update: I just reread the law :“any attorney-at-law collecting a debt as an attorney on behalf of and in the name of a client.” is exempt:

According to what you have posted here, neither M. Harris nor Pinpoint Technologies is required to have a license. I'm going to guess that the attorney is qualified to practice his profession in your state. The ca is a client of the lawyer. Loop holes...loop holes.

I did a Google search and found other consumers claiming that they're not licensed.

Were these Countersuits, letters to the attorney general or something in the newspaper? This is the trail I would follow, but not too far because of this:

Yet they have over 12,000 civil court cases in one NYC county!

Probably some mistakes are being made do to the high volume of lawsuits. It wouldn't seem that licensing would be one of them because someone by now should have nailed them.

In my case though, the judges in my county were stamping out default judgments as if they were prisoners at the state license plate factory until I came along with the advice from this forum and respectfully demanded assignment.

In whatever you are attempting to do, go with the most favorable leads. Your time is very valuable...use it well.

Lecasbas-

According to what you have posted here, neither M. Harris nor Pinpoint Technologies is required to have a license. I'm going to guess that the attorney is qualified to practice his profession in your state. The ca is a client of the lawyer. Loop holes...loop holes.

That's it! ..and explains why Pinpoint never directly contacting me regarding the alleged debt.

now the GOOD NEWS::trumpet:xdazzlex

I went to court with them today and the case was discontinued.. with prejudice! I saw no paperwork regarding the discontinuance, but it is showing up online. The stipulation should be mailed to me and I'm praying that it is filed "with prejudice" as agreed by the Attorney.

The Attorney tried to get me to settle. and I calmly explained that their client had plenty of time to prove the account was mine and that they could legally collect on it. Although I didnt go before a Judge, I do feel that if I came across weak and mousy with the Attorney, things would have turned out differently.

::punk::Lecasbas-Thanks again for all your tips and help you gave for my other pending case. It helped me stay confident and I was determined to win!

I was thinking of your quote all morning:

Having a claim dismissed depends upon several factors. The Court is probably the most important. Secondly is your ability to persuade.

Original post by: charlanyc

now the GOOD NEWS:

I went to court with them today and the case was discontinued.. with prejudice! I saw no paperwork regarding the discontinuance, but it is showing up online. The stipulation should be mailed to me and I'm praying that it is filed "with prejudice" as agreed by the Attorney.

The Attorney tried to get me to settle. and I calmly explained that their client had plenty of time to prove the account was mine and that they could legally collect on it. Although I didnt go before a Judge, I do feel that if I came across weak and mousy with the Attorney, things would have turned out differently.

Now you can share your good experience with others who are in the shoes you once wore.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
I did a License search (thanks to Tylemcorp) -

https://a069-webapps1.nyc.gov/dca_new/index.cfm

and did not find M. Harris or its company Pinpoint Technologies.

I did a Google search and found other consumers claiming that they're not licensed. Yet they have over 12,000 civil court cases in one NYC county!

So M. Harris is exempt, but Pinpoint Technologies isnt. How should I address this in court?

any attorney-at-law collecting a debt as an attorney on behalf of and in the name of a client.” is exempt:

that is what it says but the dunning that mel harris sends out clearly states that THIS IS A DEBT COLLECTION FIRM thus they need to be license buy loop hole

• 9 months later...