Is this the right information?

txsquirrel

New to this part of the forum, so here goes. I check my credit card statements online religiously. On sat, I noticed that my available credit on my MC was off. Nothing unusual was showing on the unbilled activity so I called the Customer service to see whats up. They said that they had a charge for about $350 from a website vendor I had never heard of. I immediately told her it wasn't mine and we closed the account and they issued me another cc#.

Here is where my question comes in. They said that to get the charge off my card, I have to send a notarized afadavit along with my statement with the charge circles in to their fraud dept. It will fall on my next billing period, so I will not receive my statement until the end of next month. They claim they can't send me anything sooner. My question is, Isn't that a long time to wait? I would think the sooner they get the information, the easier to catch the person who is using my account number. I asked if I needed to file a police report and they said no. This didn't sound right to me.

Is there anything else I should to because of this..ie...close other accounts? I monitor my CR and there isn't anything fishy there, so I only think my Acct# got out somehow.

If I'm being naive, please let me know. Thanks.

You are not being naive. You did the right thing. I personally would call the police and make a report. Even though she said it wasn't necessary.Lucky that you are didigent and caught it early. I would also call back and see if you can talk to a supevisor or someone higher up the food chain within the company and see if they have different information.

That's just my opinion.

Moriah