Bad Credit= Hard to rent a NICE house...

jealous.ones.nv

Has anyone else had this problem?? Its so depressing trying to move into a nice house in a nice neighborhood...because that's what we're accustomed to...although we have horrible credit, we're not scumbags by any means. I hate how a good number of landlords judge you & who you are personally based on a stupid number on your credit report.:waah:

Nobody notices how GREAT your credit is when you apply for things..they only notice when you screw up. I never made a single late payment or ANYTHING(FICO was 750+)..I purchased a house by myself...then lost my job because of a shady boss that figured he could save money by not paying worker's comp. I burnt through my savings like a California wildfire trying not to get my house foreclosed. And of course lived on credit cards while trying to find a job that paid enough.

Luckily I sold the house just in time & was completely freed of that debt..but, EVERY credit card account I had suffered...for 2 yrs. And I just started paying my cards off a few mos. ago...

Has anyone else had problems finding people that will rent to you?? Some of the most horrible houses I've seen in the bay area...STILL check credit. Its not like you could make the house any worse...and bad credit doesn't mean you're going to destroy a house anyways...it means you've had some unfortunate things happen to you...BIG DEAL. At what point does the crucification stop?? 7 yrs after the last bad item comes off your credit report?

Sorry this is so long...but, I'm insanely frustrated.

To top things off, some people told us to "find a house in a bad neighborhood, they'll accept you there"...

So my question is, WHERE in the H3LL to people with bad credit live??? lol Is there some secret village for us all that i don't know about?? :hmmmmm:

The house we live in right now is from a VERY COOL private owner that didn't ever do a credit check..but it seems like ALLLLLL the houses nowadays(prvt owner & mgmt co) are requiring credit checks :( I was just honest with the last lady who's house I called on..told her my whole sob story about how my bad credit came to be..she didn't seem too disturbed by it, but knowing there are other people going to the showing tomorrow night...our changes are lessened! Or maybe landlords are just getting more & more uptight as time goes on...everyone in the bay area seems to think their crappy, rotten, old house is worth $4000/mo RENT...its laughable.

I hope the lady that owns the house tomorrow is cool..I know once she meets us, she'll love us. But she said if we give her a deposit for the house, she'll discuss things with us.."after she sees our credit reports" (great).

As the owner of some rental property , if someone in your situation came up to me and offered me a bigger security deposit , i would seriously consider you, over someone with a higher credit rating. That being said, when your talking about 4000 rents, you want to make sure the person is paying on time, or the owner might be in jeopardy of not being able to make their mortgage payment.

It sucks....

but really, you should presume that if they are wanting to check a credit report that it is for a specific reason. They know well in advance before they even know you exist that when they see a bad report it will have an invigorating story to go along with it. In their minds it is inevitable because it's just the type of thing someone with bad credit would do... argue it and point out how its not their fault.

I can relate and I'm an avid member here in your shoes as well, but generally I'd prefer to spare both me and the prospective landlord the embarrassment of the process and preserve some dignity.

I've found townhome areas and even nicer apartment complexes do just fine and can be quite nice... plus free lawn maintenance! Pets and all.... :)

As the owner of some rental property , if someone in your situation came up to me and offered me a bigger security deposit , i would seriously consider you, over someone with a higher credit rating. That being said, when your talking about 4000 rents, you want to make sure the person is paying on time, or the owner might be in jeopardy of not being able to make their mortgage payment.

Yeah, I told the lady on the phone...we're willing to give her a substantially larger deposit if that would make her feel more secure. Depending on the person, some private owners want 1st, last & security! We're looking at houses in the $3000 range...I hate plunking down $9,000 off the bat or if the house were $4000(way too expensive)..we would theoretically have to plunk down $12,000. Its just ridiculous. Private owners are getting soooo strict here all of a sudden. I'm not sure if its the rates raising, so they in turn raise rent & barely make the house payment on the rental property...so they're insanely fearful of late paying renters.

It sucks....

but really, you should presume that if they are wanting to check a credit report that it is for a specific reason. They know well in advance before they even know you exist that when they see a bad report it will have an invigorating story to go along with it. In their minds it is inevitable because it's just the type of thing someone with bad credit would do... argue it and point out how its not their fault.

I can relate and I'm an avid member here in your shoes as well, but generally I'd prefer to spare both me and the prospective landlord the embarrassment of the process and preserve some dignity.

I've found townhome areas and even nicer apartment complexes do just fine and can be quite nice... plus free lawn maintenance! Pets and all.... :)

I *wish* we could live in a condo/townhouse...they're much cheaper and I love the community pool/garden maint., etc. BUT...we have motorcycles & dirtbikes(garage is a must) and have acquired enough stuff to fill a 4br house, we have a dog, but she needs a yard to run around in..townhomes always give you a tiny patch of concrete(at least in our area).

Its a good idea though...we just have too much cr*p though!

Many, many people that I know have had luck finding private landlords off of sites like Craig's List. Not sure if that helps in your area, but here in Uzbekistan it's a blessing. 8]

We ALWAYS look for rentals on craigslist its the BEST! I think since the postings are free though..the rental companies have taken over...I think its just the area we're searching in..people in that particular area seem more uptight than other places.