Should I be concerned?

jemhazel

I was just contacted today at my place of employment today by a CA stating that they were calling on behalf of Merric Bank and that they were placing a judgment against me.

I proceeded to tell them that it was illegal for them to contact me at my place of employment and he continued to ask for my home phone and I told him that if he was infact calling on behalf of Merric Bank then he should have all that info in my file. He said that they didn't and if I didn't give him that info that a judgment would be placed against me and that he would contact my payroll department directly. I told him that if he did that I would in place file suit against his company. He was very rude and said transfer me to your payroll department I said hold and he immediately hung up and I or my payroll department has heard from him since.

I have DV'd Merric Bank several times with no response and now I am getting this phone call from a CA on their behalf. Totally illegal if you ask me!!

I was just wondering if this is in fact legal and if not if there is anything I can do to get this to stop as I really don't want anymore phone calls at my place of employment.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

First of all they cannot threaten you in that manner. If you DV'd them they would have your info and the only reason they would be able to contact you at work would be if they had no other info on how to contact you. Was your DV's timely? Did you send them CMRR? I would DV them again and copy their and your AG's offices. In the letter I would include the copy of the letters you sent, the confirmation that they received you request for validation and cite that they are already in violation. They need to know you will be alerting the proper agencies in regards to their illegal collecting tactics. Are they reporting on your CR? If they are I would also disptute with the CRA's they are reporting to and send them copies of the ignored requests to DV. Let the CRA's know they will also be named in any future correspondence to your AG if they continue to report TL's that have not been validated but verified. I did this to EQ and the deleted my CAP one immediately! 8-)

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/rebuild/debt_validation.shtml

I have DV'd Merric Bank several times with no response and now I am getting this phone call from a CA on their behalf. Totally illegal if you ask me!!

Remember you can't dv the OC...only the CA. In addition to this, send them a C&D...that will stop all calls and/or mail. If they're going to sue, let 'em. Just answer. However, I don't let CAs contact me in any way, shape or form.

First of all I'm pretty sure that a judge will place "judgment" on you not a CA. Secondly, in my state to actually get a garnishment you would have to have a judgment in place first and then the plaintiff would have to go in front of the judge again to obtain a garnishment. This is harassment and he is threating you...contact your Attorney General and the BBB.

I was just contacted today at my place of employment today by a CA stating that they were calling on behalf of Merric Bank and that they were placing a judgment against me.

I proceeded to tell them that it was illegal for them to contact me at my place of employment and he continued to ask for my home phone and I told him that if he was infact calling on behalf of Merric Bank then he should have all that info in my file. He said that they didn't and if I didn't give him that info that a judgment would be placed against me and that he would contact my payroll department directly. I told him that if he did that I would in place file suit against his company. He was very rude and said transfer me to your payroll department I said hold and he immediately hung up and I or my payroll department has heard from him since.

I was just wondering if this is in fact legal and if not if there is anything I can do to get this to stop as I really don't want anymore phone calls at my place of employment.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

this is just one of the "tricky" and "scary" tactic they use.