JohnDoe2

Remove A Judgement??

I am very close to having a "paid" Judgement removed from my CR's but need some help. I have a paid Judgement on my CR's that was satisfied about 2 years ago. It was filed by an attorney that represented my HOA for a collection on back HOA condo fees. ( I had lost my job for the first time in my life and had no income at the time. ) Regardless of the reason, I paid it off a couple years back and now want it removed. I see from reading in some forums that it is possible. I have contacted the attorney's office whom filed the Judgement with my local county courthouse and asked them if they would delete it if I sent them a letter requesting such actions. They said that they are NOT opposed to the idea but have never had a request to do so and dont know the protocol on how to go about requesting a deletion like that. They asked if I would send a request letter with addresses for them to send a letter from them to the CRA's.

My BIG question is what should that letter from the attorney include and say for such a request? Or am I going about this the wrong way? I really want to get this right the first time around!!! Please help me with whatever you can! Thanks in advance!

I think an easier way is to dispute with the CRAs...and let the attorney's office know you are doing so and if they would *accidentally forget* to respond to the CRA in time.....that would be great. But I think one needs to do this with the COURTHOUSE...they furnish the data to the CRA.

The CRA has to delete if they don't get a response from the Data Furnisher

If HOA agrees to have it removed, then just get the attorney to file a "Motion to Vacate". It is fairly simple, and you can probably go to the courthouse to get the paperwork if the attorney doesn't know wtf they are doing. If all parties agree and sign it then there should be no problems.

From what I know, getting a judgment removed by disputing is VERY tough. It is public info, so anyone could find it online. The CRA doesn't even need to contact anyone if they know what they are doing.

I just signed my motion to vacate papers and mailed them back to the attorney yesterday. The only signatures needed (that I saw anyway) were mine, the attorneys, and the Court Commissioner. Can't wait to have this thing removed! In his words, it makes it "as if it never happened". Your name and case may still be searchable online, but it will have no info there :D.

No matter what agreement the Attorney's office has for removing judgments for you don't mean squat. The CRAs have subscriptions with companies that do nothing but troll public records. That's how you get judgments added to your CR. What you can do though is dispute the judgment as being Vacated/Discharged, I've gotten 3 judgments removed in this way. The other way would be to get the vacate filed if none of this works.

No matter what agreement the Attorney's office has for removing judgments for you don't mean squat. The CRAs have subscriptions with companies that do nothing but troll public records. That's how you get judgments added to your CR. What you can do though is dispute the judgment as being Vacated/Discharged, I've gotten 3 judgments removed in this way. The other way would be to get the vacate filed if none of this works.

So I should just dispute it first before anything else? With Vacated as the reason? I just didn't want to mess up and have to go a second round and get the dreaded "previously verified".

Exactly. Disputing would do nothing though if the judgment does not show as vacated in the public records. Will just come back verified. If it does get removed, then it can and probably will just get added again once one of those companies checks the public records and reports you, or it may just show up on the report as "satisfied" (if you disputed by saying you paid it), which IMO is just as bad. That was what I was trying to avoid as I wanted it completely gone with no chance of coming back ever. I am sure some have disputed Judgments and had them removed, never to see them again, but why chance it? I would rather get the paperwork done so that even the public records don't show it. It took me about 5 minutes of phone calls and a stamp, and perhaps a dispute in a month or so when I see the record change. Perhaps you can dispute it, and whether or not it gets removed, still get it vacated. The dispute MAY get you a faster deletion, and the vacate would prevent it from biting you in the butt later.

Either way, keep us updated if you don't mind. Ways to get a judgment removed is good info. I have a friend that I am helping in getting a few paid judgments removed, as well as some medical crap (I guess medical stuff must be dealt with a bit differently?). Will be quite the learning experience.

So, I sent the motion to vacate paperwork back to the attorney on the 18th of Sept. About a week later I received a copy of the motion to vacate... signed by the commissioner. I searched for the case online and sure enough it was dismissed!

Resolution: 09/21/2007 Dismissal Without Trial

Completion: 09/21/2007 Judgment/Order/Decree Filed

I disputed it online as "dismissed" with EQ and I had to send in "new information" copies to EX because I had disputed it before and they wouldn't allow me to dispute online again. It was never on my TU file. I updated my report today and saw the judgment was deleted from both CRA! ::travolta::

Keep at it JohnDoe2!

I have a question about this. So I have a paid judgement on my report for an apartment complex. When I tried to get a new hearing, they basically said in a letter to the judge that they have no idea what a $77 judgment was for but that I had paid them all the money that I owed them when I paid them $2000+ a couple of years ago.

This caused the judge to mark it as paid instead of setting a new hearing for it. If a new hearing had been set for it, there wouldn't have been a judgment against me since they had no idea what it was for to begin with. They didn't have an attorney representing them when they filed the suit against me. When I called the courthouse to see about getting it vacated, they told me I had to go through the Indiana State Court of Appeals for some reason.

Is there any paperwork that I can just send to the apartment complex to have them sign and then send to the court to get this vacated? A judgment for $77 that shouldn't even be there is severly dropping my score and I want it gone. When I send a letter to the court trying to explain the situation, they send me back a letter saying that it has been satisfied.

Any help is appreciated!

I have been working on my credit and my girlfriends credit. She had a judgement reporting on all 3 CRA's. The Judgement was paid but they were all showing as being unpaid still. It took a couple of disputes to the CRA's but eventually the judgement was removed from all 3. You might want to at least give that a shot in the meantime.

They all have different case #'s on the reports so Im sure that it was a little difficult to verify a case when the case #'s werent even close to what they are with the court system.

From what I have read in regards to CRA's getting public info, it comes from Lexis/Nexis. I use this database at work and I can tell you that the information is full of incorrect or partial information. I would dispute it and if it doesnt come off, then get the method of verification and make sure to verify that they used the case # that is listed on the CR.

Can someone here verify the steps that need to be taken to successfully remove a judgement?

I have a collections company that filed paper work and turned into a judgment, the judgment is paid but still remains reporting on my CR. Do i need to send the motion to vacate to the court house, the collection agency or the attorny?

How do I contact the attorny and what do I say? I never did get a trial.

Thanks inadvanced!

Judgments are legal actions and, as such, need a proper legal disposition to 'tie up all loose ends'. However, obtaining a disposition, and getting that added to your CR can make it even harder to get the item shielded from view (2 things to get verified instead of just one). "Paid" is not a legal disposition. For a judgment the dispositions are: Satisfaction of Judgment and Order to Vacate Judgment. If you obtain the first, the judgment remains on your CR for 7 years from "...date of adjudication...". If you obtain a Vacate, then begins the fight to remove the item from your CR.

Snowdrift, your specific questions involve legal research into the laws of your state. You may wish to contact a local attorney or visit a law library (or dig on the net).

There are stories here and elsewhere of consumers getting legitmate judgments shielded from view. While this possibility exists, it's important to remember that as PUBLIC records, judgments are open for viewing by anyone at anytime. They may reappear at any point on your CR, for the length of time they remain valid. Your only recourse would be to go after the CRA's for re-insertion without notice, if indeed you don't receive notice. This is why we urge people to go for the Vacate, rather than simply try for a delete.