Can they do this?

dhpickett

I recently had to move from one state to another due to a family issue. Anyway, we had a house and we were trying to sell it because we knew we couldn't afford two separate households. Well it became to much for us so we ended up doing a "short sale" on the house. We had a second mortgage and the company we went through settled for a certain amount. Now they are coming back on us requesting we pay the remaining amount. We have the "statement of settlement" from the sale of the house that states that U.S. Bank payoff. They have put this on my credit report how is this possible? I thought since they agreed that was the end of it. Someone please help! :confused:

If any of the parties who signed the settlement disagrees with the said settlement then that party would have the burden of proof as to why the agreement should not be honored.

You should reread the agreement and the apparent dispute letter to attempt to find the other party's reason why it thinks it can ask for something you don't think it can. The other party may think it has found a loop hole upon which it can demand said payment. The other party may simply be confused.

It sounds like you were in a hurry to settle. Don't be surprised if you didn't read all the "fine print". If you find that you are correct and there is no loop hole then write the other party and say so.