Medical Collection---Is this legal???????

mitre244

I had a root canal a few months back and was under the impression that my insurance would cover the cost. However, it included only a portion of the cost. I tried to tell the dentist that this was an unexpected expense and that I would pay as soon as I was able to.

He then sent it to a collection agency. Although, the correspondence seems to be unusual and unprofessional. The envelope sent included three things:

1. a letter

2. an offical looking form from the Pennsylvania department of Motor vehicles that is title "request for information." It has the offical logo of the PA DMV on it. It seems as though this form would be used to collect information about a driver (VIN, name, address, plate number"

3. A fee schedule of Civil filing fees as of January 1, 2007, ON COMMONWEALTH OF PENNSYLVANIA LETTERHEAD (with the offical state crest)

the letter reads (I will write it exaclty how it's written..typos and everything) "Enclosed is envelope for next payment of $63.50 on this account., Now, and then payment of $60 every two weeks until bill is paid in full. Now that over 30 days have passed since my first notice, you are again informed the doctor wants paid now. Please make check payable to Dr. **** and send here to me. I will send envelopes as needed. Failure to immediately pay results in me filing civil action in district court. It is cheap to sue. (see enclosure). After Judgement, I execute sale on personal property including vehicles. We hope you will pay instead.

First, I don't think it's legal for him to use state logos (PA DMV and the fee schedule that he obvioulsy typed himself on a piece of paper and photo copied the state crest). I found a law in the FDCPA Section 807 that says that the collector cannot make "false representation or implication that the debt collector is vouched for, bondedby, or affiliated with the United States or any State, including the use of any badge, uniform, or facsimile thereof."

That's what he did right? He's using state logos, crests, and offical forms in his efforts to collect.

Also, what is the DMV form for? Could he really execute sale on my car for a $250 delinquent dentist bill??

Lastly, the dentist listed on letter isn't even the dentist that performed the procedure.

Any help anyone could impart would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

rs