disney

new bk/credit card question

I have another question.

I have my checking account with BofA and I will also have a credit card that will be included in my bankruptcy from the same institution. Can the fact that I am going default on the credit card affect my checking acccount?

Technically, no, it shouldn't. However, you might want to open another checking account elsewhere just so they don't have the opportunity to screw it up.

I was really hoping that you would not say that. I have been with them for over 15 years and I have checking and my son's savings account there and my debit card.

I have another question.

I have my checking account with BofA and I will also have a credit card that will be included in my bankruptcy from the same institution. Can the fact that I am going default on the credit card affect my checking acccount?

No. Your credit card account will be legally paid in full if discharged in BK.

-r

I spoke with a lawyer and she recommended that I close my checking account and get another one somewhere else. She said that they can try and get their money out of my checking account.

I filed CH13 in 2004. BoA has my mtg, my HELOC, personal and business checking. 3 BoA credit cards were included in the BK. I have had my accts with them for over 15 yrs. They have not touched or even hinted at screwing with my accts. However if you are nervous but don't want to give up your accts, keep a minimum just to keep them open until your Bk is done and open another acct for the bulk of your financial transactions.

Like I said originally, technically, there should be no problem. Certainly in a BK 7 and probably in a BK 13, debts that are IIB are NOT collectable by other means.

However...the hassles involved with retreiving your money from a bank account seized or closed by "mistake" are just not worth the little amount of time it will take you to walk across the street and open accounts at a bank that you didn't "incovience" by filing BK on some of their accounts.

I spoke with a lawyer and she recommended that I close my checking account and get another one somewhere else. She said that they can try and get their money out of my checking account.

Listen to the the lawyer then...mea culpa.

-r