New Bill: Fair Tax Act

bd50

I have seen the 'national sales tax' idea floating around since the early seventies, so in thirty-five plus years nothing has changed. I think it is superior to the 'flat tax' ideas that have been around as well. In the latest scheme, I disagree with the idea of no corporate taxes, funding social security, medicare, and other programs via this route. It is a great idea in concept, but IMO it will never fly. It is a great 'bandwagon' for politicians to ride to election victories, but not much more than that. I can't get past the fact that the 'IRS' is big business. You know the saying: the more things change, the more they stay the same. Don't hold your breath on this one.

I've read the Fair Tax book by Neal Boortz, it was fascinating reading. Its a great idea and could work theoretically, but trying to get the goverment behind something that might decrease beaurocracy? Good luck. We're talking about the same US Congress that mandates the 16 year old making your french fries at McDonald's has to take a mandatory drug test, but when a first term Representative proposed drug testing for elected officials, it was shot down as an "invasion of privacy". Big government is not going to release its hold on your money.