Settling with CA - Advice Please

lolah

I sent a DV letter to a CA and they sent me back a copy of my signed contract. I swear I cancelled this account, but have no proof that the letter I sent to the manager of the facility received it. I didn't send it certified. :cry:

The SOL in Ohio for a written contract is 15 years. (OUCH!) This account is only 2 years old, was for a excersize facility and the amount is $900.

I am thinking my best bet would be to try and settle. However, I have a few questions:

1) What % should I offer since the account is with a CA and is 2 years old?

2) I read on this site that even if you settle, you can still be sued for the remainder of the amount owed. Is there any way around this?

Any other comments / suggestions / advice welcome!

Get a money order for $400, copy it, send the copy to teh CA with an offer to settle today for that amount. Ask for a release from the creditor in return for your check, or something on thier letterhead ( not the CA) saying they accept the 400. Say you are offering this in the spirit of compromise and not as an admission or concession of any fact and that you deny the bill.