A caution to your kids on Job Applications.

MadMonkey

One of my family members worked for the fraud department of national phone company and told me some pretty interesting things about ID Theft and how fast it can be done.

One of the fastest and easiest ways they do it, is to go to local fast food restaurants and hit up a swing shift supervisor or crew leader. They pay them a couple hundred bucks to borrow the job applications for an hour or so. These applications are rarely ever locked up. There generally thrown into a drawer.

They take the applications to a local kinkos and photo copy them off and then return them to the restaurant. (remember most Kinko's are opened 24/7)

These applications are great because most of the applicants have not established credit so there squeaky clean.

Your kids need to ask questions like: Where are these applications kept? Who has access to them? Can I omit my SS number from the application until such time as you want to offer me a job? (State why you want to do this, to protect your identity)

You know what doesn't help either. I remember when I used to work in a McDonald's when I was a kid and saw the manager or other crew people throwing out filled applications in the trash because they didn't like how the person looked. I would say nowadays that would be a big lawsuit!

• 1 month later...
It's funny. This never occured to me. At my old job we had paper appications for a long time. We used to just throw them away after a while. Now they are all done electronically.

We still do paper apps. And then scan them in and then our receptionist gets to shred them. I honestly feel bad for her. We do have a high turn over rate too.