CA Reported to CR 6 Months ago- Just received Notice

esanger

I got a letter for a medical collection from 2003 on August 28, 2007. I pulled my CR and found they dinged my CR in February for the 2 collections (a measly $150). I sent them a dispute letter actually providing proof that these charges were not valid, but my question is, since the first contact was in August (like 3 weeks ago), can they legally ding my CR without validating it with me first?

One thing I am nervous about is the DV letter I sent them disputed the charges as invalid, provided them billing statements for the months the alleged charges were made and the statements show that there were no such charges. I also asked them to not contact me regarding this matter as I deemed it as an invalid debt. My letter stated "This will serve as your legal notice under provisions of federal law, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), to cease all communication with me in regard to the debt referenced above."

The fact that I disputed the debt, they have to get back to me within 30 days right? BTW: I sent tit Certified return receipt (I figured someone would ask).

....but my question is, since the first contact was in August (like 3 weeks ago), can they legally ding my CR without validating it with me first?

Yes, they can.

My letter stated "This will serve as your legal notice under provisions of federal law, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), to cease all communication with me in regard to the debt referenced above."

It was a mistake. You asked them for proof and then told them not to contact you anymore (oops!) No big deal though in this case. They can still contact you to let you know about the disposition of the matter. Don't do this in the future, as it leaves the creditor/ca with the choice of dropping the matter or suing.

The fact that I disputed the debt, they have to get back to me within 30 days right?

No. They don't ever have to reply. However they must cease collection activity until they validate.

-r

So, since I am still in the 30 day window, should I send them another DV asking for proof (using one of the template letters from this site)?

Yes, you should always send a DV letter in reply to any initial dunning letter. It's always the first step and preserves your rights.

-r