direct loans - backdate forbearance??

redbank

my hubby's student loan is with direct loan, will they backdate forbearance?

He was supposed to start making payments in June but hasn't and I just found his stack of mail from the loan. When I took over our finances again, he figured if I was doing everything else, then he could at least take care of the loan paperwork or payments being made timely. Well.... he hasn't. I feel sorry for him cause working in lawncare service leaves him little time to shower and eat in the warmer months, so I am gonna try to help him/us.

So my question is will direct loan backdate forbearance? If they will, will that remove the lates that are from that forbearance time frame?

Edit to add: I have never had any dealings with a student loan. I have no idea how they work, only that you have to pay.

Only if the forebearance is school related. Not on any others ( I tried) However, my attorney told me to consolidate WITH the same bank 6 months after I graduate. They will remove lates then is what she said.

Forebearances are administrative, otherwise at the lenders discretion. Deferments are what you get when you are in school. Two different animals.

Consolidating will not remove the lates. Consolidation basically pays off the old loan(s) and starts a new fresh loan. By law the lenders are required to report accurately. I dont know where your attorney is pulling the information that they will remove lates....it is a pile of hogwash.