Asset not Licensed in my State, BUT...(please read)

toImproveMyCredit

So, as most of you know, Asset Acceptance owned my account since 2004, for WashMutual. I DV'd them with CMRRR, and I check them that they are NOT licensed in my state, WA, to collect. So, what did they do? They sold it to Northland groups inc, which is a licensed collection agency in Washington state. By the way, northland is not on my CR, yet. What should I do good people? Thank you for advance.

They WILL NOT simply "remove themselves" from your report.

They can't try and colelct from you, legally, if they're not licenced in your state IF AND ONLY IF your state requires CAs to be licenced...some don't. Like Texas, from what I hear.

FYI - In Texas Debt Colletor's are required to have a bond on file with the TX SOS but not licensed. See the link in my signature.

They WILL NOT simply "remove themselves" from your report.

They can't try and colelct from you, legally, if they're not licenced in your state IF AND ONLY IF your state requires CAs to be licenced...some don't. Like Texas, from what I hear.

I am in WA. I have asked for DV, three times. The first time they sent a simple computer print out. The second and thrid requests for DV went ignored. I disputed the debt with all three credit bureaus. The credit bureaus investigated and verified the debt to be mine. The debt can't be mine because the debt amount is incorrect and the fall off date is incorrect. If the debt is mine, then, they have reaged the debt and added extreme interests and fees, which they do not send an accounting for. The three credit bureaus all report a different balance on my credit reports.

Should I just demand, being that Asset is not licensed in WA, that they remove the debt from my credit report?

Cann Asset get licensed in WA?

First: You have to find out if a CA is required to have a licnse in your state. Some states do not require licenses, just a bond (Like Fizzle mentioned with Texas).

Second: You have to go to the State's website... to their dept of licensing...find the page where you can search for a license...and have at it!

Is is difficult for a collection agency to become licensed in WA?

A non licensed collection agency, in your state, cannot list a debt on your credit report...right?

They can't try and collect from you. However, the FTC *has stated* that reporting IS collection activity...I personally think a case can be made to support that statement. One would just have to take a CA to court on that and get some case law started.