CA after me for switching to Geico

yekim54

Earlier this year I switched my auto and homeowner's insurance from Nationwide to Geico and saved over $600 per year. Without my authorization, Nationwide extended my car policy an additional 8 weeks beyond the expiration date, and then sent me a bill for about $200 for that extended period. On their bill they said:

"Perhaps you have obtained other insurance to cover the extended period. If so, please send us a copy of your new 'Policy Declarations Page', which contains the effective date of coverage and this may reduce or eliminate the amount due."

I sent Nationwide the new Geico information and clearly circled the effective coverage date, which was the same as the date my original Nationwide policy expired. I figured that would be the end of the story. But no, next I get a notice from a CA trying to collect the $200.

The thing that really irks me is that I held my auto insurance with Nationwide continuously since 1976! During the past 30 years I paid them in excess of $14,000 in car insurance premiums and only had two minor claims during all that time (both were less than $300 and both were prior to 1981).

I am preparing a DV letter to send to the CA. Should mention that I already sent information to Nationwide showing that I had coverage from Geico during the disputed period? Or should I just keep the DV letter general at this point and simply ask for validation? Another option is to take this whole mess to my former Nationwide Agent's office and raise holy hell with him.

I'm no expert, but if I was you, I would take all of the documentation down to your former Nationwide agent's office and raise holy hell in front of all of the other customers. Emphasize in a loud voice how your were their customer for thirty years and now they are screwing you over. Make a scene. tell them you will be back every day until he (your old insurance agent) straightens this out. He isn't going to want other customers to see how Nationwide has screwed you over, and he will do all of the work for you to straighten up the issue.

You are clearly in the right here.

A quick 5 minutes in any office with any agent will likely 'fix' this debacle they've caused.

You likely don't need to make a scene...unless it is called for. And if you do...consider what will actually be effective vs. just making you look like an a$$.

A prime example of a subtle way to 'make a scene' is from the Blues Brothers. When Jake and Elwood went to the Chez Paul and emphasized that they'd return for breakfast, lunch, and dinner...every day...until Mr. Fabulous re-joined the band.

I suggest the throwing shrimp to your brother method...as employed by Joliet Jake.

SERIOUSLY THOUGH...this is a situation and/or decision that was made by corporate and/or a computer...not your agent...get it? Don't go off on some agent, publicly berate them, and screw their personal business for a decision made by someone else. At least give them chance to 'fix it' for you. Remember...they likely are completely unaware of the problem.

So much for aving to switch to Geico!

Seriously, I would certainly walk into the office and raise hell. If they don'e bend here, the BBB and AG could probably fix this issue for you.

Don't forget the big guns - your State Insurance Department, which controls their ability to do business in your state.