Credit Report says "Charge off sent to collections" UCB

irishfairyspirit

I've been doing some research here on UCB because I am getting ready to dv them on a citi account & then yesterday I recieved a dunning letter from them about another citi account. My credit report says charge off sent to collections. If I am correct that means citi still owns it, right? Sorry but I still get confused sometimes. Should I try to contact citi, I haven't spoken to them in months? One old post on here said to ignore UCB & try that.

UCB left me a message the other day mentioning 2 accounts before I knew about the new one. These are $6800 & $9700 ones so I want to make sure I do the right thing here. Some people say not to dv to avoid being sued by citi. I have to contact UCB one way or the other. They are calling my home, cell & I have now recieved 3 text messages, my cell phone does not have a page option so they are texts. They have also called before 8 am so I have some violations on them which I think I am going to mention in the letter.

So I guess my real question is who do I really owe & what is my best course of action? I do not have money to settle these yet and I am still trying to kill time until I can do a BK.

Thanks

"Charge off sent to collections" probably...repeat probably...means that Citi stills owns it. The magic words are "Written off /sold to another lender" with the balance set to $0.

If you haven't got the money, then your only real choice is to DV UCB. Don't forget that calling your cell with an autodialer and texting you messages (which you have to pay for) are violations of the FDCPA.

It is possible that Citi may sue...not because you DV'd UCB, but because $17,000 is a lot of money.

why is calling your cell with an autodialer a violation? where can i find information attesting to this?
You'll have to do some searching...first, its a violation of the FDCPA to call you in any way that costs YOU money...and then, there is another law regarding phone solicitations...both have been mentioned on the board here...