Forced Sale on Assumed Property??????

nfrdad02

My mother passed away a few years ago with no will, I have three siblings

In texas with no will I understand that I have 1/4 of 1/2 of her home. Which would be 14K. My sister has 1/2 & 1/4 of 1/2 and brothers have same as me.

I may be forced to file chapter 7 personally

My problem is if chapter 7 is going to effect my silings by the force of sale of my mothers sisters home, I can not do it. My sister is blind and that is the only home she has ever had and I can't take the chance on a force sale situation.

Does anyone know if this is a fact? Can anyone give me some advise

Do YOU live in the house ?? If not, then the homestead exemption can't be used because it's not YOUR primary residence. Given the details, it IS possible that a BK Trustee could go after the house - BUT he'd have to buy out the other owners to do it, so a lot depends on how much the property is worth, and is there a mortgage on it ?

You could always file Ch 13, then the house would probably be safe. Talk to a BK attorney before you panic, they could tell you what could happen and they know the local trustees and the way they work.