Can we start a Christmas savings (debt free Christmas) thread?

debtmamma

uMM.. I am pretty sure we have talked about this doccy...

What you do with your socks is your business. :p

::laugh:: You have a memory like a bear trap.

Well remind me to make sure I don't get you as my SS!! :lol:

We could start a White Elephant gift that gets passed around year after year. Socks sound a lot better than a Costco-sized box of tampons.

We could start a White Elephant gift that gets passed around year after year. Socks sound a lot better than a Costco-sized box of tampons.

I thought that was what that fruitcake I got last year was for. Damn, I've been saving it in my freezer!!

I'd totally do a White Elephant this year, so long as I get to buy real presents too. Told ya it was an addiction. :D

Good idea though, maybe should be its own new thread. But I'd love to throw around some good ideas for $20 gift budgets... basically anything awesome for $20 bucks.

My contribution so far would be one of those ridiculous cell phone bluetooth ear things that everyone wants and no one can stand. The Motorola H500 reviews very decently and is all over ebay for $9.95 + $9.95 shipping.

Got one in Pink for the wife and chrome for me.... yes I shop for me.

H500_PINK.JPG=600

Gift recipients are guaranteed to love it, and then find it's more trouble than it's worth within a few days. A true sign of an awesome gift. (Plus it retails for $60, so you get some raised eyebrows).

Gift recipients are guaranteed to love it, and then find it's more trouble than it's worth within a few days. A true sign of an awesome gift

ROTFL

Have you ever read any of the Don Aslett books on clutter? I think you would like them. :)

Good idea we can post our less than $20 gifts

Fast food gift certificates? Pizza Hut, McD, Wendy's :)

Scrapbook Kit with album/pages/stickers :)

Car wash coupons :)

Keep the ideas coming!

For all you n00bs... we do have a CIC Secret Santa that I'm assuming we will do again... Once Halloween is done I'll start a thread for this years' SS.

So... keep those gift ideas coming.. although I think our limit for this year will be higher than in previous years--maybe $35 or $40.

If you are dead set on spending $, the container store has a gadget catalog/flyer that comes out around the holidays all items are $5-25 and unbelievably mind blowing practical...

Also, I like giving Ornaments You can go to a dept store (macy's /dillards has the best) they are great/beautiful and almost all of them are usually under $5,all under $10.

use comic paper for wrapping paper and raffia......so cheap but cool looking.

If you are intersted in saving a little green you can do what I am planning on doing this year and have done in previous years when I or multiple friends/family has low cash flow.....

Have a CFC Cash Free Christmas! It's a lot easier with services, but some of us have come up with things that are brand new (and not used) out of closet to give away ( must be something person would need or want)

I make a list of everything that I need done and the friends and fam that have the skills to do it! and Vice versa. You can also make an offer list of what you can provide- Ex I have my own wrap business and gift wrapped almost all of my friends non cash free gifts that year.

The last time we did this - I had my house cleaned, My office organized, all of my electronics hooked up, a website built. My bedroom redesigned, Learned a couple of great recipies and I got a quilt!

Just something to think about,

SC

I usually have a debt free and guilt free Christmases...I have lived debt free for 10 years....

I get all kinds of free stuff...I usually save all my mypoints and use them for gift cards, wal-mart, Circuit city and places like that...I send dinner cards to family like olive garden and red lobster, saves on postage..best of all I make points for doing things I already do, like shopping on ebay.

T save my rebate checks in a seperate bank account, so I always have cash...I use coupons and save 1/2 in cash in my piggy bank. It's not a saving if you don't save at least something.

I purchase things on ebay by selling other things...as a matter of fact most of my shopping for my 3 kids and hubby is already done.

Everyday I make cash money at the shop...that goes in my safe at home...and I usually start with 20.00 a day, whatever is left at the end of the day is saved....