utility collection-assistance needed

trulyblisss

I have a utility collection showing up on my CR from a CA in Indiana. Now I have sent a DV and they responded with a what looks like a print out from their computer with the following information:

Name

Service Address

Meter #

Account #

A financial history (payments and charges) but not from the beginning of the account

When the account was shut off but not when started

Charge off date

This is all that I have received from them. They have not marked my account as being disputed as a matter of fact they have responded to a bbb complaint as this dispute being frivolous per FCRA.

I wonder what other steps I could take to get this off my CR since I need to begin looking for an apartment in soon.

Tried 1-2 punch with no success. Should I contact the OC and see if they will take the account back and have the account deleted. But I can only make payments at this time on this balance.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

For a utility, it's not your credit report that you should be worried about. You should make sure you have a clean record with the utility company (whether you end up paying it or whatever you have to do to get it settled). Unless of course you want to be phoneless, cableless, in the dark, without water, whatever.

Utility companies can come back to haunt you. They can refuse to hook you up in the future until you're paid up.

IMO, and others may disagree, if they were able to send you all of that information then they really did validate the debt. However, the information is really supposed to come directly from the OC and not a printout from the CA.

You can draw their attention to the fact that they validated the debt without marking it in dispute. It might get you some leverage.

It is always better to work with an OC rather than a CA. Contact the OC and see if they would be willing to take the account back and work out a payment plan to get this item paid. This will not guarantee that it won't end up on your CR. There are tons of threads talking about how hard it is to get some utility paid charge-offs off your CR. So you need to include in your negotiations that the account is not to be placed on your credit report. You need to do this in writing.

At a minimum, the debt collector is required to confirm with the creditor the amount being claimed is correct and that the person from whom they are attempting to collect the debt is the person who owes it.

FDCPA 809

If the consumer notifies the debt collector in writing within the thirty-day period described in subsection (a) that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, or that the consumer requests the name and address of the original creditor, the debt collector shall cease collection of the debt, or any disputed portion thereof, until the debt collector obtains verification of the debt or any copy of a judgment, or the name and address of the original creditor, and a copy of such verification or judgment, or name and address of the original creditor, is mailed to the consumer by the debt collector.

-r