What can I do?

smcelveen

Okay, this is the story, I am a college student, graduating in May and my credit is already BAD! Thus far, I have two delinquent credit cards, one of which I have paid off and the other which is just delinquent. I would like to hopefully buy a car once I graduate, but these instances along with my $25,000 in student loans are hindering me. What can I do to get these two credit cards off my credit report, so that maybe I can get a car one day soon....not in seven years? Also, do those credit repair services really work and if so, what are some reputable companies?

Thanks for your help :)

No, those credit repair/debt negotiation companies don't do anything you can't do yourself. If the debts are recent, there isn't much you can do about getting the badness off your report.

Your first step should be to pull your credit reports and see what's on there and check your FICO scores. (get free credit reports here: https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp)

Once you know what you're working with, you can start fixing it.

-r