Unusual CA mistake

When I asked for DV to be faxed to me from CA, CA accidentally sent me info on about 4 other people and their accts. Not sure if my info was sent to someone else. Do I have to notify people that I got info for? or can I sue them directly?

I would send copies of the info the CA sent you to the people in question with the laws about talking to third parties :) If there is SSN numbers in the information it's could lead to ID theift (who else might they have sent that info to?) and perhaps a call to your PD and local/national news channel?

Or, point out to the CA that they sent to the information about 4 other accounts and you KNOW that is a HUGE violation of the FDCPA and other laws and if they don't delete, well, that information might just find its way to the proper authorities and some really hungry lawyers for the people in question :D Not to mention the above mentioned police department, Fox news, CNN, USA Today, who ever will listen. ID theift issues are big, companies leaking/loosing information is huge news as well. Beat the CA over the head with it :) (word to the wise. what i just suggested is likely extortion so use at your own risk)

• Like 1

Do I have to notify people that I got info for? or can I sue them directly?

If you inadvertently received a fax intended for someone else, why in the world would you think you have standing to sue the CA who sent it?

If the mailman delivers someone else's mail to your house, do you sue the post office?

I already had that happen earlier in the week where I received someone else's information, under ID Theft thread. I actually contacted the person in question and let him know what had happened. The only thing you can actually get out of accidentally receiving someone else's info is grounds to file complaints and maybe, just MAYBE, use it to strongarm into a removal. That's really all you can do. I let the person know so that he was aware of what happened and let him decide on what recourses he wanted to exhaust. Until then I have his info safely tucked away until he wants it destroyed. Keeping it in case they want some kind of prood that I have it.