OC threating to sue for rental item in rental unit (likely off topic)

merkurfan

But not really. Heres the deal, We rented our home in April, due to issues with my wifes pregnatcy we spent a lot of time at our in laws and the house sat empty and issues with the wife where MUCH more important than a water softener company wanting a rental unit they left in the house when the last people moved out coming to get it. They did finely get a hold of me a month ago and i told him "hey, I am just a tenant, call the landlord, I can't authorize the removal of anything"... I guess the land lord never did, don't know. Don't care. Today I got a summons, they are suing me to get their worthless water softener.

I have offered, appon aproval of the landlord in wirting to let them in to the home to remove it when I am home. The demanded I take time from my work day to wait for them, and would give me a 4 hour window as to when they could arrive. I told them I would not be willing to wait around for them all day. Talk to the landlord to get in during the day.

So, I have to go to court and plead my case. Do I have grounds to stand on? I'm just a renter, how can I be held liable for the thing if the judge should side with them? Should I counter sue for time from work lost if they won't settle and come get it?

Umm...

I would venture to think that you are correct.

Could you possibly have the thing taken out of your house and left on the porch or anything? Or maybe they can come on a Saturday and get it? OR get it from your landlord directly?

That things is OLD, yesterday a buddy and I hauled the POS out of the basement yesterday. It took a 2 wheeler and the two of us. And that was after I drained the damn thing.

My land lord is lazy, won't fix anything. It's likely he blew them off too. It's out in the garage, where they can come get it, when I am home. If I leave it outside they will likely say they never got it. I am going to demand something that says they came in got it before I give it to them.

That things is OLD, yesterday a buddy and I hauled the POS out of the basement yesterday. It took a 2 wheeler and the two of us. And that was after I drained the damn thing.

My land lord is lazy, won't fix anything. It's likely he blew them off too. It's out in the garage, where they can come get it, when I am home. If I leave it outside they will likely say they never got it. I am going to demand something that says they came in got it before I give it to them.

What does the summons say, how are they pleading their case? You have NO responsibility to them for this, if anything, they need to sue to former tenant. They don't have a case against you.

says I am not allowing them access to the property. That is wrong, I am just refusing to let them in when I am not home and that the landlord is the one they should be dealing with. It was connected to his house, and his pipes. I see no reason to bother my wife, who is watching over a special needs child and a 4 year old with this bull. Yes she is home during the day but has more pressing issues.

Honestly I am considering a counter suit for harasment. After all, I told the land lord I did not want it, I told their sales person I did not want it, I've never used it. It had 4-5 inchs of black water in the bottom of it since we moved it. I doubt any one has used it in years.

says I am not allowing them access to the property. That is wrong, I am just refusing to let them in when I am not home and that the landlord is the one they should be dealing with. It was connected to his house, and his pipes. I see no reason to bother my wife, who is watching over a special needs child and a 4 year old with this bull. Yes she is home during the day but has more pressing issues.

Honestly I am considering a counter suit for harasment. After all, I told the land lord I did not want it, I told their sales person I did not want it, I've never used it. It had 4-5 inchs of black water in the bottom of it since we moved it. I doubt any one has used it in years.

what is their problem with coming while you are home, is it past their business hours? if so, sounds like a personal problem to me.

Yup, their installers only work 8 to 5. I told them that sucks. So do I. call the land lord for access. Thing is, now he's only around on weekends. After I called and raised hell with the sales lady who awnsered the phone the other night, and left a voice mail on the offices managers voicemail NO ONE will return my calls.

Oh well, I'll send a letter CMRRR saying they have 5 days to come get it and to call and arange a pick up time or it will be disposed of at their cost.