7 days until agency reports to Credit file

memo1

My roommate and I are disputing charges our realty company sent to a collection agency for outrageous amoutns they said we incurred at the house we rented. Both of us have DV'd the collection agency. They sent him and I a bill from the Realty company with his name on it. I sent a letter back saying that since the bill did not have my name on it, I did not consider this dispute verified. The CA has said that within 45 days of them being assigned the debt they will report to credit agencies and that date is about 1 week away.

Several questions:

1) I know that the CA has verified the debt for my roommate but since it sent a bill with his name on it to me, shouldn't they provide more info?

2) The debt is assigned. Do they have to own the debt to put on our files?

3) How much can this item hurt my credit? I have never had any item like this on my file and this is the first time anything like this has happened to me.

4) As I'm concerned about hurting a very good credit record, both of us are considering just paying this though we have disputed with the BBB. Makes me angry just to type that and I think they are sort of relying on that. I have since moved and so has he. It would be a huge investment to deal with this in person. Ultimately we do not have a move in form out form so I don't know if we can really win. Other than our word, we don't have much supporting evidence.

Wanted some insight from the group on this.

You have to weigh your options now...

Can you live with this on your CR for 7.5 years from DOFD?

If not, pay it.

then,

If you have a valid case, sue the landlord later.

(Any collection TL does damage to your FICO, paid or not.

and yes they can report even if they are assigned.)

----

This is why I suggest to all you you -- never ignore letters

from your creditors ( or CA) ... it seldom ever goes away.

and

deal with the issue BEFORE it goes to collections!

:-)

You have to weigh your options now...

Can you live with this on your CR for 7.5 years from DOFD?

If not, pay it.

then,

If you have a valid case, sue the landlord later.

(Any collection TL does damage to your FICO, paid or not.

and yes they can report even if they are assigned.)

----

This is why I suggest to all you you -- never ignore letters

from your creditors ( or CA) ... it seldom ever goes away.

and

deal with the issue BEFORE it goes to collections!

:-)

Yeah. This has been a learning experience. I never got the bill sent with me and relied on my roommate who was in contact with the landlord. I will never do that again. Anyway, how much of an effect do you think this will have on my credit?

I don't want to pay it but to keep it off my report for 7 years, I figure I might as well pay the $500 or so that it is.

Who is the CA? Are they bonded in TX? Most apartments/reality companys are part of a rental association. Have you tried finding out if they are a member and filing a complaint with that association?

That aside, any future land lord will see that unpaid rental and look down on it in my opinion.

It will have a huge negative effect on your credit..

just pay the $500 if that's all it is.

I realize that paying the $500 seems logical. But I think that is what most CA's bank on. If the CA is not bonded in TX to collect debt, then I would not pay them one cent and wait for it to show up on my credit report.

Memo1 - What part of the cleaning bill are you disputing? Have you talked to the rental company? Try that route. Let them know you think the charges are extreme.

I appreciate the feedback here, guys.

Who is the CA? Are they bonded in TX? Most apartments/reality companys are part of a rental association. Have you tried finding out if they are a member and filing a complaint with that association?

That aside, any future land lord will see that unpaid rental and look down on it in my opinion.

They are bonded in Texas and I see your point on the unpaid rental.

Memo1 - What part of the cleaning bill are you disputing? Have you talked to the rental company? Try that route. Let them know you think the charges are extreme.

We are disputing the whole thing. They charged us $250 for cleaning the place. And I personally was on my hands and knees cleaning. When the woman showed up for the inspection, she was on us for scuff marks on the floor of the kitchen. As in the rubber scuff mark a shoe leaves. That to me is "wear and tear." It basically comes down to them trying to charge us for getting this place back into good shape. We did not damage the house-it was in poor shape prior to our move in. And I'm sure they knew that. They threw in a lot of other fees-like a hole in the door, new door knob, cigarette burn on the windowsill (none of us smoke), and also put $1k on us for the rug. This on top of charging us to clean the rug $140 which ended up getting replaced anyway. And we maintain the rug was damaged beyond repair by a hot water heater that they admit exploded almost a year before we moved out.

I'm not saying that we are perfect, but it's really an issue of what we can prove too. Unfortunately, we have no damage waiver and did not think that they would work us over like this. So no photos. We have disputed with the BBB and they responded initially to our complaints abut have since failed to respond to our counter on their claims.

So as we work to figure this one out, the 45 day time period is up next week. I would split it with my roommates so it would only be about $500 each. But it's basically legalized extortion.

I appreciate the feedback here, guys.

They are bonded in Texas and I see your point on the unpaid rental.

We are disputing the whole thing. They charged us $250 for cleaning the place. And I personally was on my hands and knees cleaning. When the woman showed up for the inspection, she was on us for scuff marks on the floor of the kitchen. As in the rubber scuff mark a shoe leaves. That to me is "wear and tear." It basically comes down to them trying to charge us for getting this place back into good shape. We did not damage the house-it was in poor shape prior to our move in. And I'm sure they knew that. They threw in a lot of other fees-like a hole in the door, new door knob, cigarette burn on the windowsill (none of us smoke), and also put $1k on us for the rug. This on top of charging us to clean the rug $140 which ended up getting replaced anyway. And we maintain the rug was damaged beyond repair by a hot water heater that they admit exploded almost a year before we moved out.

I'm not saying that we are perfect, but it's really an issue of what we can prove too. Unfortunately, we have no damage waiver and did not think that they would work us over like this. So no photos. We have disputed with the BBB and they responded initially to our complaints abut have since failed to respond to our counter on their claims.

So as we work to figure this one out, the 45 day time period is up next week. I would split it with my roommates so it would only be about $500 each. But it's basically legalized extortion.

Don't just take it laying down. Dispute the CEO of the rental company. Not just person that answers the phone. I'd definately dispute the rug issue.

One other question-if we do not settle and this item goes on my credit report, it would go on as a disputed debt? Or verified? I would obviously dispute it with the credit bureau as well. The CA should be able to show that I lived there, but the issue is whether this debt is valid for the amount that it's in. There's no judgement, etc. So is the only thing they have to provide the credit bureau the invoice? Do they also attest to the validity of the charges?

It's not like this is a credit card bill or a car debt. The invoice is something they came up with. So I'm just wondering how the process works if they say I owe them and I say they don't.

Don't just take it laying down. Dispute the CEO of the rental company. Not just person that answers the phone. I'd definately dispute the rug issue.

I see what you are saying. This is outrageous. The only thing-the individual we dealt with absolutely refused to return our phone calls. He was never there and we actually sent a letter to the company regarding the issue. That since we had not heard from them, we considered the matter closed. Of course, they didn't respond. And a few weeks later we received letters from the CA.

The issue is that our contact-the guy who told the BBB that he only had to respond to our requests between the hours of 9-5 (customer service is his strong point) is the husband of the women that runs this place. I could contact her, but I can't imagine she's going to side with us over him.

Seriously try to find out if you have a rental association that this company belongs to. I know I have one in my area. If this company is not really an upstanding company, then they probably won't be a member of one and you will just have to deal with the company themselves. Try to also find out the rental laws in Texas. I know they exist. Read it over and try to find something they did or did not do and use it against them. Don't play nice, they aren't.

Is this company like Coldwell Banker or some major company? Take it up with their branch manager, divsion manager, etc.

Seriously try to find out if you have a rental association that this company belongs to. I know I have one in my area. If this company is not really an upstanding company, then they probably won't be a member of one and you will just have to deal with the company themselves. Try to also find out the rental laws in Texas. I know they exist. Read it over and try to find something they did or did not do and use it against them. Don't play nice, they aren't.

Is this company like Coldwell Banker or some major company? Take it up with their branch manager, divsion manager, etc.

Not a nationwide company. They are in an area where they deal with a lot of soldiers in the Army. As a result, they are probably used to taking advantage of 19 and 20 year old kids.

I've looked into the rental laws in Texas and will continue to do so. I also have pulled a copy of the form that is used to file a complaint with the Texas Real Estate Commission. Can't seem to find out if they are a part of any rental assocations other than that. But thanks for your help.

I found this on the www.taa.org website.

http://www.taa.org/renterinfo/faqs/?catID=7

What should I do if I disagree with deductions made from my security deposit?

You have a number of options. You should first discuss your situation with the onsite management, and try to resolve any issues. If that fails, you may want to contact the management company office or the property owner to complain. You can also contact the TAA affiliated local association in the area where the property is located, for more information or referrals to other sources of assistance. You can also sue the owner for what was wrongfully withheld plus statutory penalties and attorney's fees.