Need help with medical bill CA trying to collect on

fyrfyter

Hi,

I'm new here and posted this on the wrong forum.....sorry about the double post.

I was contacted by a CA on 9/25/2007 who asked for my deceased wife. I informed him she had passed away from cancer in March of 2005. He then went on to say he was trying to collect on a medical bill from xxxxxxx ambulance service from March 2005 and that I hadn’t responded to any of their attempts to contact through the mail. I told him I believed all of her medical bills had been paid. (I know never communicate anything over the phone. This was before I found this site.) I informed him that after my wife had passed away I had used a medical billing accountant to help me pay and keep track of the medical bills. He said I still owed on this bill and needed to make arrangements to pay.

I informed him that I would need time to go back through my records and confirm this bill. He said that he was with CMS at xxx-xxx-xxxx phone and that I would have until noon on 9/26/07 to pay this bill or appropriate action would be taken.

I pulled my CR’s and found nothing on my CR about this bill. I then found this site and I sent a DV, CMRRR to CMS.

Here is my situation. Since my wife has passed away. I and the medical billing accountant thought all the bills had been paid. I can find no bill from xxxxxxx ambulance service (we did use this ambulance service to have my wife transported from the hospital to our home.)

The mail I receive in my deceased wife’s name have been junk mail, offers for credit cards ect.. So I have been in the habit of shredding everything that is delivered in her name. I’m sure that if CMS had sent a notice in her name it got shredded.

Am I still within the 30 days or am I screwed? Should I contact the OC and try to work this supposed bill out with them?

Thanks

Ok...one question: How are YOU responsible for your deceased wife's med bills?

"I pulled my CR’s and found nothing on my CR about this bill. I then found this site and I sent a DV, CMRRR to CMS."

u prob will not....it was your wife's bill

He said that he was with CMS at xxx-xxx-xxxx phone and that I would have until noon on 9/26/07 to pay this bill or appropriate action would be taken.
what action exactly?---sue who?--your wife?

make sure you sent a limited C&D with the DV and I think they will be gone...