Collection laws and questions

Nisama

Hi there!

You need to DV the CAs and tell them in your DV letter that all communication must be done in writing and that you are not allowed to receive personal calls at work. If you have already DVd then write a C&D about calling your work.

Also, the only credit that will affect others is credit that you have jointly. So anything from your past cannot affect your fiance's credit unless you add her to a bad account (which I assume you won't do! ;)). Of course, the only affect it could have on her is being turned down for a joint loan together, but nothing from your past can affect her scores.

On the other hand, if she's got good credit and willing, she can add you to any of her trade lines once married and you will reap the benefits of good trade lines.

Good luck!

Are collection agencies allowed to call places of employment to collect a debt? If so how do you make it stop? Also if I marry, will my wife's credit be affected by my credit dings?

I would write CMRRR the collection agency and tell them not to call you at work or home as all calls are recorded. And that you only handle your financial matters in writting. Of course at this point you will get tons of letters but the calls should stop. As another note, they might try to call your work and request employment verification from your HR department. I would contact your HR department and tell them that all employment verification for you, must be approved before they release it to the requesting party.

ANd no offense to Donna but as far as DV'ing the CA. I personally wouldn't DV them until I disputed with the credit reporting agencies first and the CRA's verified the account. Once you dispute with the CRA's and they verify the account, then DV the CA.