Need help - Court dismissed debt showing up on credit report

If anyone can help me with my situation, I'll really appreciate it.

I had a dispute over a bill ($427) with my dentist. After a few letters back and forth, he sued me in small claims court. He sent me letter asking me to pay $477 and if I paid, he would withdraw from court (he added court filing fees ($50) to the amount he claimed I owed ($427) and asked me to pay $477). I was confident about my position and decided to see him in court. I had a few very tense weeks but prepared myself to explain my position in court. However on the court date, he didn't show up and judge dismissed the case. I was very happy that it was finally over. But no! After a couple of months, I got a letter from a collection agency asking me to pay $477. I was shocked not only because of the collection letter for a dispute which I thought was over but also on seeing the amount they claimed I owed. I could never imagine that someone could sue me, then don't show up in court and then ask me to pay for the court filing fees. I sent a debt validation letter to the collection agency. They sent back a statement from dentist's office which clearly showed additional $50 for court filling fees as a separate line on the statement. I replied back saying that I do not owe that debt as it was disputed in court and was dismissed. I sent a copy of court's decision along with my reply and asked them to stop all collection activities and to not report that debt to CRA. Afetr that I didn't hear from them. That was in November last year. Today I got copies of my credit reports (I am planning to get a mortgage) and saw it being reported. There is a statement accompanying it stating that "Account information disputed by consumer (Meets requirement of the Fair Credit Reporting Act)".

I am sure that it can't be good to have it showing on my credit report. What can I do to get it deleted? Can I send court documents to CRA and ask them to remove it? Or do I have to go through collection agency? Please help me as I am completely lost on how to go about correcting this. Thanks for any help.

Your first step it to dispute it with the CRA's. If they verify it then you can go from there with violations. Was the case dismissed with prejudice?

As per court clerk, it was dismissed without prejudice. Does that weaken my position to have it removed from my CR?

Also, on my CR, it is already showing as being disputed. If I write to CRAs saying that I am disputing that debt, are they supposed to remove it from my CR?

Thanks for any help.

As per court clerk, it was dismissed without prejudice. Does that weaken my position to have it removed from my CR?

Also, on my CR, it is already showing as being disputed. If I write to CRAs saying that I am disputing that debt, are they supposed to remove it from my CR?

Thanks for any help.

w/o prejudice means they can bring suit again. if you have personally never disputed with the CRA's they will attempt to verify with them again.

if you have personally never disputed with the CRA's they will attempt to verify with them again.

If I do that, my suspicion is that the CA/OC would provide the same account statement to them. CRA would then say that they have verified, and the whole situation would be back to the square one. Isn't there something concrete that I could do to have negative info removed as soon as possible without going in circles? Thanks.

If I do that, my suspicion is that the CA/OC would provide the same account statement to them. CRA would then say that they have verified, and the whole situation would be back to the square one. Isn't there something concrete that I could do to have negative info removed as soon as possible without going in circles? Thanks.

that's very likely what will happen, however, if that happens then you might have a violation on them. in order to have a claim against someone for FDCPA/FCRA violations, you must allow the person the opportunity to correct the problem. Just b/c they lost a case in court do to a "no show" does not mean they can't attempt to collect the debt if you have not DV'd them timely.

that's very likely what will happen, however, if that happens then you might have a violation on them. in order to have a claim against someone for FDCPA/FCRA violations, you must allow the person the opportunity to correct the problem. Just b/c they lost a case in court do to a "no show" does not mean they can't attempt to collect the debt if you have not DV'd them timely.

If they validate it, what would be the violation?

Thanks.

I'd take your paperwork and complain to whatever board regulates dentistry in MD as his act of seeking to coerce you to pay a debt the court woul dnot give him is unprofessional. Try the BBB, too.

Thanks for the advice. I'll do that. But I guess this won't help me in removing the negative info from my CR, would it?