Where will I be sued?

Gizmo

I owe a debt in Florida. The debt is from 1999 & 2000. It is to a physical therapist. I received a letter from an attorney threatening to sue me. I now live in North Carolina. Where will I be sued? Do they have to sue me in NC or can they sue me in FL? I have called a few attorneys in NC and they all ask the same question: Does FL law say that they have to sue me in FL or in NC since I now live in NC. The PT place is in Fl and I was treated in FL.. Thanks!

Under the FDCPA a creditor has there choice...either where the debt was incurred, or where you live now. If they sue in FL, they'll have to domesticate the judgement to NC before they can take any money. You'll have to read up on both state laws to know how difficult that may be...

Thank you for your help! I guess that they can still sue me even though the debt is so old.