AMEX Accounts

texastea

Now that I'm seeing some great progress on my end, I'm attacking my husband's next.

He had an old AMEX acct that was charged off. They made him offer to settle the account in full back in Dec 2006 then they sent him a new card w/same limit as before (around $1500). This means he has this original acct listed as a negative item. He kept the new account current and in good standing and six months later he requested an increase in credit limit. They said they couldn't increase it but they could issue him a separate AMEX card with the same limit as the first instead. We now have an AMEX Optima and an AMEX Blue Cash card.

Bottom line is that I want the old, original charged off acct off his credit report. We are in a position to pay off the two current accounts in full. I'm wondering if I'm in a position to ask them to delete the old one off credit reports under threat of paying off and closing out the two new credit cards. Do anyone think this would work? If not, a second question is, do we help or hurt ourselves by keeping both AMEX cards open?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I had a CO Amex in 03' (paid) and an optima paid 03' showing a 222 dollar differential

indicating settlement. I didn't think I settled.... but there it is. I would think Your

DH's 06' settlement is more fresh than "old". I can't believe it. They were pretty nasty

when I delt with them. Since I have not had any contact with Amex in years, should I

call or write. I want some of that warm and fuzzy.

Credit Crunched---

I may be wrong, but they may have been receptive to our GW letter because my DH uses his two AMEX accts for business travel (has to since his employer implemented a corporate card limit of $2k) so he's charged them up all year and paid them off immediately when his expense checks have come through.

I found a sample GW letter in another thread that I tweaked slightly and sent it to an El Paso address.

Good luck!