Is UNIFUND licensed in NY?

creditsqueeze

they are licensed nearly everywhere,.. and yes they are a nightmare... they have this nasty habit of no calls, no dunning letters in most cases the initital contact is a simple summons... even my lawyer hates them.. most of their cases are related to citi products and they do show up for court (even if they farm it out locally) and they do have great records courtosy of the citi people.. they were one of the hardest to deal with.. we kept them in court a year and finally had to settle just to avoid their extra attorney fees

Yes they are licensed.

Please check the link below to confirm the names of companies that are licensed in ny.

https://a069-webapps1.nyc.gov/dca_new/index.cfm

FOr this example you should type in the name of the co( Unifund) and then choose the business category, (debt collection agencies) and then SUBMIT,.

You will then be taken to another page that displays the name of the co and their license number.

:)

Bloody hell! :( Well, now I know.

Thank you, both. nylady I'll definitely check that site. And CarolinaBlueEyes your experience sounds like a big YIKES!

I wish I could say it was easy but it wasn't.. they sued me twice and won both times.. I had a great lawyer and we did settle out of court after a year of keeping it tied up... they came in two months before the SOL farmed it out to some local guy (who i am still paying) but at least the settlement was less then 50%.. in payments with NO interest and its not on my CR (as I said I had a great lawyer).. but even the judge told my attorney they are one of those companies that keep great paper.

I am being sued by Unifund and unless it is a legal tactic when they filed their complaint they failed to attach the necessary documents as required by my states RCP. They also have not validated the debt from a 2nd request over a year ago, have not reported it as disputed on my CR, COA is BOC and Unjust Enrischment which can not be both in my state and the SOL has expired. Neither did they notify me within 30 days of the assignment as prescribed by my states statutes. Started reporting on my CR in 2005 and sent initial contact letter in 2006, statute says they have 30 days from the assignment.

I am hoping my matter maybe the one that fell between their exemplery recordkeeping and I get the complaint dismissed.

Don't give up hope!

• 2 weeks later...
I am being sued by Unifund and unless it is a legal tactic when they filed their complaint they failed to attach the necessary documents as required by my states RCP. They also have not validated the debt from a 2nd request over a year ago, have not reported it as disputed on my CR, COA is BOC and Unjust Enrischment which can not be both in my state and the SOL has expired. Neither did they notify me within 30 days of the assignment as prescribed by my states statutes. Started reporting on my CR in 2005 and sent initial contact letter in 2006, statute says they have 30 days from the assignment.

I am hoping my matter maybe the one that fell between their exemplery recordkeeping and I get the complaint dismissed.

Don't give up hope!

Unifund is a member of the ACA International. You can go to their web site and file a complaint. Send in supporting documentation. They have the option of revoking their membership to the ACA if the ACA feels like they gave disregard to debt collection laws.