Are student loans a barrier to a good mortgage?

skinny

I have been very successful with improving my credit score (FAKOS) from a median score of 523 to now 600. I wanted to purchase a house in 18 months However, I am returning to school and may take out 65K in student loans. How much of a barrier will this present when I try to secure a mortgage? Can it potentially sideline the progress I already have made with my score?

Is it REALLY seen as good debt?

Depending on the type of loan that you apply for they may not have to be counted against you. Since you will be in school., your loans will probably be deferred until you finish. However, you would have to show that they will be deffered for at least 3 years in order for them to be excluded from you DTI. Clever is right though, once you return to school what will happen to income? That could prove to be your 1st obsticle.