Dealing with Knightsbridge Receivable

aakeju

I got a call from my mother this morning saying that a company by the name of KRN has called her regarding some sort of "claim" I had with them. My mother lives in Maryland and I in New York, so I had no idea who it could have been - and I certainly didn't think any collection agency would be calling my mother - so, like an idiot, I called the number she gave me.

Turns out it was a collection agency by the name of Knightsbridge Receivable and they were trying to collect on an account that I hadn't heard anything about from anyone for the last year or so.

They claim to have sent me a letter back on September 13th, 2007, when they took over this account, but I received no such letter. I know I didn't receive this letter because I am very paranoid about such things and go through every bit of mail I receive. And when I tried to request another copy of this letter be sent to me, the person I spoke to refused to do so and tried to coerce me into paying off what I supposedly owe them - almost $2000. When I told him that there was no way I could just pay that without 1) knowing who these people were and 2) the money at my disposal to do so, he informed me that they were seeking a judgment against me.

I've done the DV before - and am currently pursuing a suit against a CA for violation of the FDCPA - but I don't know if that will work in this case considering they claimed to have sent their letter on Sept. 13th and refuse to send me another despite the fact that I never received it, and it's now 30 days past that date.

Is there anything at all I can do about this?

I got a call from my mother this morning saying that a company by the name of KRN has called her regarding some sort of "claim" I had with them. My mother lives in Maryland and I in New York, so I had no idea who it could have been - and I certainly didn't think any collection agency would be calling my mother - so, like an idiot, I called the number she gave me.

Turns out it was a collection agency by the name of Knightsbridge Receivable and they were trying to collect on an account that I hadn't heard anything about from anyone for the last year or so.

They claim to have sent me a letter back on September 13th, 2007, when they took over this account, but I received no such letter. I know I didn't receive this letter because I am very paranoid about such things and go through every bit of mail I receive. And when I tried to request another copy of this letter be sent to me, the person I spoke to refused to do so and tried to coerce me into paying off what I supposedly owe them - almost $2000. When I told him that there was no way I could just pay that without 1) knowing who these people were and 2) the money at my disposal to do so, he informed me that they were seeking a judgment against me.

Is there anything at all I can do about this?

#1 Read the forum. There is an abundant amount of information on here.

#2 NEVER EVER, EVER, EVER speak to a Collection Agency on the phone! [ www.whocalled.us ] is a good website to use when trying to find out who called you.

#3 When was the last time you paid on this account?

zaiman14, I've done the DV before - and am currently pursuing a suit against a CA for violation of the FDCPA - but I don't know if that will work in this case considering they claimed to have sent their letter on Sept. 13th and refuse to send me another despite the fact that I never received it, and it's now 30 days past that date.

Fizzle1979, I didn't realize they were a collection agency until I was actually speaking to someone on the phone and it was too late. And I've been looking through the forum, but I haven't yet come across anything that I think might help me. Also, i've never paid on this account.