Cap One Fraud

Guest jackyclaire

Guest jackyclaire

My 20 year old daughter applied for a secured credit card from cap one to build her credit, she gave them $300 deposit. 4 weeks passed and she called to find out where her card was. They said they had sent it, but would send another card to her. When she got it, she called to activate and they told her it was already activated.

She went on vacation and tried to charge her room, but her card wouldn't work. When she got home she checked her balance, and there was over $300worth of charges showing her card being used locally in Ontario while she was in NY.

After many phone calls and talking to the fraud dept. they informed her that someone from our home phone called and added a PIN number to her card and withdrew cash. Of course right away she blamed her sister, who got very upset that we would accuse her.

Do they have phone number recognition? I think it's someone inside Cap One or someone at the Post Office.

Any advice? they told her she has to pay it, or go through the police.

What a small world.

Capital one approved me for a $300.00 credit limit 0n 9/27. They told me to expect my card within 15 business days. Well yesterday I decided to call them because I was starting to get a little nervous. The young lady that I spoke to informed me that I should have recvd my card already. I asked if my card had been used and she said no.

I've never had this problem and of course there's always a first time for everything but I'm really anxious to get that card and rec the first stmt.

Something smells fishy. :confused::confused:

It's absolutly possible that someone "faked" the number, but more possible that someone in the home activated the card. Not to accuse anyone, but they do have phone recongnition and it's likely that someone activated it from the number. If Cap1 is giving her a hard time about the stolen card, she should go to the FTC webpage and fill out the ID Theft Affidavit then send it to them.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/credit/affidavit.pdf

It's absolutly possible that someone "faked" the number, but more possible that someone in the home activated the card. Not to accuse anyone, but they do have phone recongnition and it's likely that someone activated it from the number. If Cap1 is giving her a hard time about the stolen card, she should go to the FTC webpage and fill out the ID Theft Affidavit then send it to them.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/credit/affidavit.pdf

i rcd my validation from them stating i phoned in the activation from my mothers house but they dont have a signed agreement. Even though they keep meticulous records to show you copies of the money orders sent and every statement, can you get them on not having a signed agreement?

Please advise.

Send the required paperwork to dispute this, per the FCRA. Section 1681c-s, subsection 605B has the list. Follow it to a T...note that your daughter may dispute the account OR specific transactions.

Section 1681a, subsection 603(q) gives the definition of (and reason for) a proper Identity Theft report. Please note, that creditors may ignore her claim and hold her liable absent this paperwork. IF she sends it, they have no choice but to comply.

i rcd my validation from them stating i phoned in the activation from my mothers house but they dont have a signed agreement. Even though they keep meticulous records to show you copies of the money orders sent and every statement, can you get them on not having a signed agreement?

Please advise.

They don't need a signed agreement to have a contract. Most CC's these days don't get anything signed.