fighting at work

nointentionz

I guess it would depend on if it was physical or verbal??? :shock: Also, are there any written rules of conduct? Will you be forced to fire both associates? Make sure you adhere to any rules there may be, you do not want to get sued.

You are in a tough position especially since the holidays are right around the corner.:cry:

Oh yes would definitely depend on what kind of "fighting" is going on. Our company just recently had to attend a seminar on code of conduct. They had scenarios with lots of "he said, she said" situations and how they would be best handled. Basically it is the responsibility of the company to provide a productive and safe environment for ALL employees. I do not envy you. Good luck!

This is what I have to deal with at work. If it is a verbal argument, especially about work, then the verbal warning. If it is dealing with personal, then it needs to be stepped up a bit. If it is physical, then the employee that started it, if it's clear who it was, needs to be reported to HR directly and THEY usually decide whether to get authorities involved or immediate termination. This would then be considered an occurrence and usually follows up with termination if it happens a 2nd time. Yes, like everyone else said, it depends on what policies your company has but this the rule of thumb most go with.

I had a misarriage and was 3 months pregnant again, this religous witness kept saying things about me and insinuating that I lost my baby because I was not a good enough christian and God was punishing me...this went on for a long time and one day she said somethiing like...God can take this baby too ya know, you need to repent I will pray God makes the right choice and you have to repent you ways...You don't deserve a child"...she was talking about me smoking cigarettes...I replied with something I hope God sees me when I rip your toungue out of your head..

I was fired for my reply but they did not feel she did anything wrong...I felt saying I hope your baby dies was not only cruel but very thoughtless since I just lost twins at 7 months...

So I guess it would depend on the circumstance

I was fired for my reply but they did not feel she did anything wrong...I felt saying I hope your baby dies was not only cruel but very thoughtless since I just lost twins at 7 months...

They would probably fire you for fighting at work at my job. whocares, If I would have been fired in your situation, I would likely have made it worth my wild in some way. What a X&^% to be preaching to you like that! As a matter of fact there should have been some disciplinary action on her part for bringing up religion at work. We are all protected from that.

A guy I work with sent a quasi-threat over e-mail to another guy when they had a professional dispute (the other guy was pointing the finger at him for something that went wrong). In his e-mail my co-worker said something to the effect of, "If you still think I'm wrong, we can step out into the parking lot and settle this..."

That e-mail made it to HR and they offered the other guy the choice as to whether my co-worker should be fired - and they were serious too. Ultimately he said no because that's just not who he is..

In your situation, I think hostile work environment would clearly apply. Consistently trampling over someone's emotional loss is completely unprofessional and if you pair it with a religious view, that's clear harassment. At the same time, if you threaten physical violence, they're within their bounds to terminate you too. I suspect that had you filed a hostile work environment claim with HR, you would have grounds for an unlawful termination with your local EEOC.

If someone threatens me at work, or hits me, you can bet the farm their a$$ is getting canned.

My son's worked together. Neither one manages their anger. Son #2 pushed the buttons of son #1. Son #1 punched an inanimate object. He was fired.

Son #1 did not blame employer. When he called to tell me he had been fired, he first told me he need anger management therapy and cried because his reaction was excessive when compared to what Son #2 did.

I wish you well in your decision. In FL it is a right to work state so they can fire you for no reason at all. What are your state's laws on this?

I did complaom to my supervisor several times and he just said stand strong in your faith...she would leave watchtower books all over the break rooms, in lockers and they would nto do anything...after several months I had enough.

I would not have physically harmed her...but she was draining me emotionally.

This was in 1988...the rules were just coming into play then.

I still stand by the fact she was harassing me because I was pregnant.

And I had a much better job after that.

I feel for you.

Your co-worker was all about her religion and that has no place at work.

My co-worker (1988 as well) left literature in my 'inbox' detailing how cruel it was to have a child circumcised, etc. It was nobody's business whether I chose to have my son circumcised and I resented the intrusion. (I worked in an area that was 95% men). I finally had it with all the stuff hitting my in box....got the attention of ALL the men and flat out asked them in that group setting....."Who remembers their circumcision?" <silence> Then ENOUGH!

I feel for you.

Your co-worker was all about her religion and that has no place at work.

My co-worker (1988 as well) left literature in my 'inbox' detailing how cruel it was to have a child circumcised, etc. It was nobody's business whether I chose to have my son circumcised and I resented the intrusion. (I worked in an area that was 95% men). I finally had it with all the stuff hitting my in box....got the attention of ALL the men and flat out asked them in that group setting....."Who remembers their circumcision?" <silence> Then ENOUGH!

beautiful!

IMO, everyone has the right to work in a SAFE environment, regardless of race, religion, sex, etc...so when one is being harassed for being different or having a personal opinion, one shouldn't feel harassed for it. However, considering it's at WORK, people forget that anything that's personal and private should ALWAYS be left at the door coming into work. Deal with work ONLY and leave yours and others' personal/private life ALONE. It's a very fine line....I get along with my coworkers and I do talk about my personal life, but to a point. :) I just have to balance my home life and my work life and keep it separate. LOL

It just blows me away that someone could call themselves a "christian" after telling a woman she should lose her child..That is the most ignorant thing I have ever heard. I am so sorry you had to go through that.

Im a Christian, and believe me, I'm appalled reading about it and if I had came across that woman at that time, I'd bitch slap her for being so insensitive! LOL Being a Christian isn't about condemning others, it's about compassion and comforting another brother or sister in time of grief.

Should have known I'd have to go off topic to find something I can speak knowledgeably about. Does your workplace have a written non violence policy, and how is it presented to the employees?

Also, was this a verbal argument, or physical, or were there simply threats of violence?

Until I started freelancing, I worked in corporate america, where it was spelled out, violence, or threats of violence, you lose your job. Of course, we also had a woman bring a firearm to work, and somehow she did not get fired

Employers have a moral and legal duty to protect their employees.

Moral, perhaps. But not legal. The police have no duty to protect. Nor do employers. You're on your own for personal safety.

Physical fighting on the job? I would think gone, almost anywhere. Unless there were some serious extenuating circumstances, like a person verbally abused or haranged until they pushed back.

do you think employees should be fired for fighting on the job>....I have to decide by monday morning!:shock:

My companies' HR policy concerning fighting (physical) is based on their liability as interpreted by their insurance.

I.e. ; anybody who employs violence (esp. in the workplace or anywhere else, except in self defence) is a threat to all.

Implimentation of the rule is another matter.

Personally I fully agree ; I'd fire anybody who took a swing at somebody for whatever reason.

The only excuse I'd accept is if the 'perp' had reported abusive conduct from the person he hit in advance.