Garnishment after case reopened?

There was a default judgment against me as I didn't show for the original court date (never rec'd summons). I filed a motion to reopen, and on Nov 1 my motion was granted. I received a garnishment letter today, dated Nov 5. Can they persue wage garnishment even though the case was reopened?

Hi Charla!

Yes - I have another court date on November 29th. The court website says the judgement was vacated on 11/1. It doesn't say anything about the garnishment, but lists my employer as garnishee. I'm guessing I should send the Debtor's Answer, saying the case was vacated and I have no knowledge of the debt?

Backstory is that I have no knowledge of this debt, doesn't show on my credit reports, and I honestly don't remember ever having a Citi card for anything more than a couple of hundred dollars.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Kelly

If The judgment was vacated, they can't garnish. Did you call them the Attorney? This is the only instance where I would call them.

I do think you need to send a Debtors Answer to the garnishee /employer which they are required to send to the creditor/collection agency.

I dont have much experiene with garnishments - hopefully others will offer assistance.