pterry

Cashiers Check Scam Got My Son

I am so sick about this. My 24 year old son was selling his dirt bike on Craigs List and "sold" it to this guy who sent him a cashiers check. BEWARE. I feel SO bad about this. Well, he ended up going to his CU and cashing the check - $3400 and then sending money by western union to the guy for shipping!! $1400 for shipping and then the other $2000 for some reason -- big mistake. NOw the Credit Union is saying that my son has to pay them for the fake cashiers check. They deducted what my son had in his account - $750 to cover part of the $3400 that they gave him. Does anyone have any experience in how to deal with the credit union about this. They gave him the money for the check - he thought it was legit. Now they want him to pay the remaining $2600 and say that the C.U. is not liable.

Of course, my son feels terrible about being taken advantage by the scammer and feels completely stupid. I feel stupid too.

I'm not understanding this. This guy sent a $3400 cashiers cheque then your son sent him $1400 to cover shipping?

I am so sick about this. My 24 year old son was selling his dirt bike on Craigs List and "sold" it to this guy who sent him a cashiers check. BEWARE. I feel SO bad about this. Well, he ended up going to his CU and cashing the check - $3400 and then sending money by western union to the guy for shipping!! $1400 for shipping and then the other $2000 for some reason -- big mistake. NOw the Credit Union is saying that my son has to pay them for the fake cashiers check. They deducted what my son had in his account - $750 to cover part of the $3400 that they gave him. Does anyone have any experience in how to deal with the credit union about this. They gave him the money for the check - he thought it was legit. Now they want him to pay the remaining $2600 and say that the C.U. is not liable.

Of course, my son feels terrible about being taken advantage by the scammer and feels completely stupid. I feel stupid too.

This is a very common scam on craigs list. I had to say this, but your son should have known better, there are TONS of warnings on craigslist and the e-mails sent through it about this exact scam.

That being said, I have almost fallen for it too. So it can and does happen (that is why they keep doing it) the CU is right, it's not their problem and they will lay this on your son. And your son is sadly on the hook for the money and is out 3400. I've heard about the shipping scam, asking for a refund (because they could not follow through I'll bet) is a new one.

If they mailed him the cashiers check, contact your post office. It's mail fraud. It seems they like fed-ex, UPS, or DHL because they don't care what is sent, and there is no law protecting you aginest fraud like there is with the usps. I would also contact your local police. When it comes to the CU have your son talk with them. While he is on the hook for the money and I doubt they are going to budge and eat any of it for him. They should at least allow him some time to make good with them. If he sent money via western union or money gram. Contact them as well. Again, they likely won't recover anything but they need to be made aware (and you should raise some hell about how their system works and allows this to happen) of the problem.

Here's the link:

http://www.ic3.gov/crimeschemes.aspx#item-3

I'm sorry this happened, but it's all too common these days. Everyone should realize that you DO NOT cash checks and send money back to people you do not know. Even cash can be counterfeit, more so any type of check/money order.

What a bad time of the year to happen. I know anytime is bad, but it's just worse during the holidays...

I would also contact your local police. When it comes to the CU have your son talk with them. While he is on the hook for the money and I doubt they are going to budge and eat any of it for him. They should at least allow him some time to make good with them.

Yep, contact the police ASAP. The CU won't let him off the hook...it happened to me. My CU wouldn't allow me to make payments either. I had to borrow the money.

The damage is done, and I am sorry to see that. Your son needs to consider this as a Life lesson. I know it seems like a lot of money right now too him, but what if he pulled a substantial amount of money out a house in the future, those types of things.

Filing the Police report protects him from the CU bringing fraud charges against him.

He's on the hook for the money.

Note about Craigs list. At the top of every Sale page on Craigs list is menu button called Avoiding Scams and Fraud. Click the link,

Pretty straight forward:

Avoiding scams and fraud Personal Safety Tips craigslist help forum

You can sidestep would-be scammers by following these common-sense rules:

DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON - follow this one simple rule and you will avoid 99% of the scam attempts on craigslist.

NEVER WIRE FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM or any other wire service - anyone who asks you to do so is a scammer.

FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON, and BANKS WILL CASH THEM AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE when the fake is discovered weeks later.

CRAIGSLIST IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY TRANSACTION, and does not handle payments, guarantee transactions, provide escrow services, or offer "buyer protection" or "seller certification"

NEVER GIVE OUT FINANCIAL INFORMATION (bank account number, social security number, eBay/PayPal info, etc.)

AVOID DEALS INVOLVING SHIPPING OR ESCROW SERVICES and know that ONLY A SCAMMER WILL "GUARANTEE" YOUR TRANSACTION.

Thats the oldest scam out . Very common scam for years even on Ebay.. un unfortunately your out of luck on this one. Nothing you can do. your out $3400

The scam is called 411 scam famous for the Nigerian scammers

Thank you so much for all of your posts. We tried to file a report with the FBI but they said we needed to file with the police department. We contacted the Houston Police Dept and they said we had to file with Harris County. Finally filed with a Harris County sheriff. NOw we will send a letter to the CU letting them know we have filed a report and stating our case. and file it with the credit bureaus to state what happened. at least clear my son's name that he was not involved in the fraud but a victim of it.

I browse Craig's list now and then but I don't think I would ever complete a transaction unless if was local and a true address and then I would never meet anyone without others present. Still, I would need to really, really want it to go through with it. I have heard too many horror stories. Someone I know hired a moving company through Craig's list and they got robbed. They stoled some of the stuff they were moving. Not sure what happened with that but I don't think they were an actual corp. :roll: So I am very hesitant when it comes to Craig's list.

I hope everything works out for you and your son, pterry! :)

Heck...if you have a good relationship with the credit union, have them give you a loan in the amount of what is owed and then let them keep the money. Good positive TL v. total depression.

IMO This is a great idea ! Yea it sucks having a loan for something youll never see but alteast your getting something positive out of it ! Plus your not out all the money upfront.

Thats the oldest scam out . Very common scam for years even on Ebay.. un unfortunately your out of luck on this one. Nothing you can do. your out $3400

The scam is called 411 scam famous for the Nigerian scammers

Absolutely correct

This almost certainly happened overseas and Nigeria is famous for these scams. They dream up new ways to screw people over here daily. That being the case, they cover their tracks so well you'll never see them again.

Life lesson to be sure. Police report will not help.

IF you were ever to accept a check of any kind, and I never would, I'd have stipulation of 2 weeks until it cleared. If they don't like that have them send cash.

Sorry to hear about your son. I hope things work out in the end.

Here is a scam e-mail I just received.

Foundation's Officer,

Association of European Charity Foundations,

Amsterdam, the Netherlands.

Dear Sir,

NOTIFICATION FOR CASH AID.

This is to notify you that you have been chosen By the Board of trustees of the

above International charity organization branched in the Netherlands as one of

the final recipients of a Cash Grant/Donation for your own personal, education

and business development.

The international registered Foundation is named after over 5 top company

owners put together. The charitable foundation was reported by the business

newspaper, the Economist between the year 2000-2007 to be technically one of

the world's wealthiest charity foundation- worth billions of US$ - but its

primary purpose is BRINGING INNOVATIONS IN HEALTH AND LEARNING TO THE GLOBAL

COMMUNITY. George Soros is chairman of the foundation/association. Having been

rated as the founder and chairman of a network of foundations, the foundation

has decided to randomly select email addresses that would benefit from this

year's donation/award.

Association of European Charity Foundations in conjunction with the European

Union is giving out a yearly donation of One Hundred Million United States

Dollars as specific Donations/Grants to 50 lucky international recipients

worldwide in different categories for their educational pursuit, health care,

personal Business development and uplift of their environments. These funds are

freely given to you for your business, educational and personal development and

at least 30% to be used by you to develop a part of your environments, as this

is a yearly program, which is a measure of universal development strategy, and

eradication of poverty.

Please kindly note that you are not the only beneficiary in your country this

year and your country is not the only country that is benefiting from this

donation, as beneficiaries have been chosen from countries from all continents.

The idea of this donation is that within ten years from now, there will be

notable richness amongst many unusual people around the world.

This will give many people the opportunity to get their lives to a stage where

they had always wanted. Kindly note that you will only be chosen to receive the

donation once. Which means that, subsequent yearly donation will not get to you

again, so it’s your choice to spend the donation wisely on something that will

last you a long time. And please do not bother following up this email, if you

have benefited from this donation in previous years.

Based on the random selection exercise of internet service providers (ISP) and

millions of Super market cash invoices worldwide, you were selected among the

lucky recipients to receive the award sum of US$2,000,000.00 (TWO Million

United States Dollars) as charity donations/aid from the Association Of

European Charity Foundations and the UNO in accordance with the enabling act of

Parliament. Note that, your email was selected from either the internet, or a

Shop's cash invoice around your area in which you might have purchased

something from.

You are required to expeditiously Contact the Executive Secretary below for

qualification documentation and processing of your claims, from Monday through

Sunday.

On contact with this officer, you'll be given your donation pin number which

you will use in collecting the funds.

Please endeavor to quote your Qualification numbers (G-313-321, N-0106) in all

discussions.

Executive Secretary,

Mr. Arthur stewart

Tel:+31-626-415-837

Fax:+31-84-740-9260.

Email:stewart_info230@yahoo.com.hk

Please note that this donation/Grant is strictly administered by "Euro

I love those emails.. in the last month, I've won the UK lottery seventeen times, I've found long lost relatives living in Latin America who have left me an inheritance that will make one of the ten richest people on the planet and to top it all off, I've expecting a free sample of some "secret" new product that will make me completely irresistable! ;)

pterry... sorry your son had this happen! maybe your credit union will treat you right.

Here's one a coworker received just today:

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2008 5:58 PM

To: (removed)

Subject: Your Cashier Check

>From HomeLand Security

We have intercepted a cashier check issued in your name. The check was intercepted by our officers at the J F Kennedy International Airport New York while the cashier check was about being smuggled out of USA and was brought to our office. The cashier check is currently with us at our Office Annex in New York.

To enable us confirm and verify the check as yours, kindly give us your full name, your contact address, telephone/fax number. Inform us if you where processing to receive any fund? If yes, what is the amount of Fund/cashier check/bank draft or money order you were processing to receive?

As soon as we hear from you, if the name and details on the cashier check corresponds with your name and details as you will give us, we will contact you again for the verification and release of the check to you otherwise if the name and details you give us does not in any way correspond with the name on the cashier check, we will not contact you again.

Thanks

David Sheppard, Director

NYS Office of Homeland Security

1220 Washington Avenue

7th Floor, Suite 710

Albany, NY 12226

TeleFax; 206-202-2714

TeleFax; 206-600-7964

To start with DHS has letterhead on their e-mails as do all government agencies, so that should be the first clue. EVEN if it did have them, never respond. ANYTHING from the government comes .gov or .mil for example and would never come .com.

Note the improper use of the English language and even one spelling error.

"cashier check was about being smuggled"

"To enable us confirm and verify the check"

"Inform us if you where processing"

"order you were processing to receive"

"corresponds with your name and details as you will give us"

"NYS" Would this be NYC? Wouldn't matter as this is a federal agency, so it would be correctly DHS and need not refer to the state or city.

This is a simple numbers game for these people. They can send literally millions of these in the touch of a keyboard and all they need is one or two to respond and they have a pretty good payday.

This one, would have you respond to the BS address and give them all your information (address, phone etc.) They will confirm, "yes it's you and the address is the same (you just gave it to them)

They can go several ways with this. If they can get you to send the money for the courier, for example they're done. Another way would be to say, "give us the routing number of your bank account and we'll direct deposit it for you" They're the government so that should be OK, right? Yet another is that they can use a matched set of name, address and phone numbers to use on another scam with others.

The old and the young are the most susceptable on these scams, but so are the naive. That accounts for about 80% of the population ;) so they have a good target rich environment to play in.

By the way, the name on the bottom of letter is very likely a DHS person. They can find that kind of information online via any number of real documents out there.

If this was from him it would read name.dhs.gov

Be careful on eBay as well.

Last month, I sold a pair of my Eagles NFL tickets on eBay. There were multiple bidders for the tickets. Before the bidding ended, I received an email from a bidder who asked me when I'll send him the tix....I wrote back "hahahaha, nice try" because I thought he was just attemting to short circuit the bidding and buy the tickets directly.

He then wrote me back and copied the emails that he was "receiving from me". Some scammer was sending him emails in my name telling him to send money orders to some crazy address and that upon receipt I'd send him tickets overnight. Someone almost got away with an instant $300 but fortunately he hadn't sent the money order.

IF you were ever to accept a check of any kind, and I never would, I'd have stipulation of 2 weeks until it cleared. If they don't like that have them send cash.

Checks can be verified, funds availability can be verified, and if the bank is local you can waltz right down and get the cash in hand.

If you can tell a check is good, you can do the deal. If not .... caveat vendor.

Absolutely correct

This almost certainly happened overseas and Nigeria is famous for these scams. They dream up new ways to screw people over here daily. That being the case, they cover their tracks so well you'll never see them again.

Life lesson to be sure. Police report will not help.

The scam is 419, NOT 411.

I've picked up a few free things on Craigslist. Don't think I'd do any deals unless it was a cash for goods in person exchange.

I periodically Ebay, and thus far all have gone well. I use Paypal to pay. If I ever start selling a lot, I'll probably insist upon Paypal.

State AGs are starting to take more notice of and go after Craigslist scams.