Daughter's Personal Information STolen

Rick9972

We just got a letter from a University that recruited our daughter that the laptop that had her personal information including SSN was stolen. She had committed to play for this school thus they had all her important information. They claim that since the computer is PW protected and is using Vista no one can gain access. :confused:

What steps should we take?

• 2 weeks later...
They claim that since the computer is PW protected and is using Vista no one can gain access. :confused:

Yeah right. That's about as secure as locking a screen door. I could boot the laptop from a Linux CD, and have instant access to the harddrive, no password required.

What Amerikaner said. Prepare for the worst. It could likely be a simple laptop thief who's going to wipe it and sell it on ebay, but you never know.

Another huge market for this kind of information is illegal immigration. I was introduced to some of their tactics when I was in S Florida. Since birth certificates are public record, anyone can order one- you only need to figure out which county clerk to call to order it. With that, plus knowing the SS# of the person, you can obtain a SS card, driver's license, etc.

My mom (who still lives in Canada) has COPD and goes to rehab therapy twice a week at a clinic. They had their computers stolen which had all of their patients information on it. My mom was informed of what happened and then was told "They probably just wanted the computers to sell"

Not long after, she had a wireless company call her and ask why she had ordered 2 phones and a pager. Obviously she didn't and she was glad that someone had the insight to flag the order.

Apparently someone had a driver's licence in her name, and Social Insurance Number.

My mom now has a 7 year fraud alert on her credit reports.

My 9 yr old information was stolen. Someone bought a car is Florida and opened a couple of small junk credit cards. The only way I found out was a hospital bill was crossed with her SS# on it. I guess the car place in Florida was wanting money so they were able to get daughter's Ohio number. They called.

That was the ONLY time all 3 of the CRA's moved fast. Within one week of sending them her birth certificate and my information...They completely locked the credit files up. They sent me a BEFORE.....and a AFTER credit report on her showing me that it was completely wiped cleaned and locked.

My 9 yr old information was stolen. Someone bought a car is Florida and opened a couple of small junk credit cards. The only way I found out was a hospital bill was crossed with her SS# on it. I guess the car place in Florida was wanting money so they were able to get daughter's Ohio number. They called.

That was the ONLY time all 3 of the CRA's moved fast. Within one week of sending them her birth certificate and my information...They completely locked the credit files up. They sent me a BEFORE.....and a AFTER credit report on her showing me that it was completely wiped cleaned and locked.

Wow, you're lucky. But still, would be nice if they could catch the people that did this.

• 1 month later...

I've had 2 different accounts get flagged in the last 2 wks. I recieved phone calls from both card companies. They each asked me about a recent transaction(which i had no idea of). I've had to cancel both cards and have new ones mailed to me. What a hassle. I have like 5 more cards, so im watching(TrueCredit) and waiting, helpless, as i have no idea where he got my info. If i could just get my hands on him/her. :evil::evil:

We just got a letter from a University that recruited our daughter that the laptop that had her personal information including SSN was stolen. She had committed to play for this school thus they had all her important information.

I normally wouldn't have worried too much about my DD's info, until last month, when I applied for two major CCs for her. She's in college and I listed no income for her... Chase and Citi came through like champs, and now she's toting two prime platinum cards without a cent of income. NOW I WORRY...

Need to be seriously careful with all that info. GF emailed this morn, someone had purchased a plane ticket in Greece using her debit card number. One call to the bank and the card number was shut off, and the money will be back in the account in a day or two. What kind of idiot buys something that can be traced like that? She has to fill out all the forms they are sending her for the theft. Wouldn't authorities just go and pick up the person who used the plane ticket?

Need to be seriously careful with all that info. GF emailed this morn, someone had purchased a plane ticket in Greece using her debit card number. One call to the bank and the card number was shut off, and the money will be back in the account in a day or two. What kind of idiot buys something that can be traced like that? She has to fill out all the forms they are sending her for the theft. Wouldn't authorities just go and pick up the person who used the plane ticket?

Wonder if you could bring in the Department of Homeland Security in on that one?

You don't have to activate the fraud alert until you know you are actually a victim of ID Theft. Recommend that you increase the viewing of your credit reports the credit reporting agencies recommend at least 3 reports per year. You don't have to sign up for a monitoring service day to day monitoring is not needed.

I would be a good idea to take the steps to get a new card issued. Don't take too long to get the new card in the mail.

Wouldn't authorities just go and pick up the person who used the plane ticket?

Depends how cooperative the foreign agencies are. They may be lax to enforce or go after people who break laws in other countries. Or the requirements to purchase airfare in that country may not be as tight as ours. Actually, now that I think about it, I just purchased airfare without having to provide any proof of identity on Expedia. I could have used Bob Smith's credit card from an anonymous computer in Starbucks and would virtually be untraceable. Until I showed up to claim the ticket at the airport. :)

• 1 month later...

I was on the treadmill at the gym reading a magazine and came across this:

Send an email to childidtheft@transunion.com and they will check for free if your child has any activity/report. It did not say what to include in email so im going to send a general email and ask about it first. Just to be safe. The info was in Family mag (feb 08)