Parents - Its your job to protect your kids

MadMonkey

My Sticky for parents - A Must Read

(a follow up to my earlier post)

ID theft - Made Simple

I learned this one from a family member who worked for the fraud deparment of a very large phone company.

In most states these days, you cannot leave the hospital after giving birth without filling out a Social Security Card for little Johnny/Suzzy. Guess what thats when there credit history starts.

Ahhhhh, you enjoy the first six months of sleepless nights, walking into work looking like a zombie..... OK lets get back on the subject matter..... Jeeeeez I was having a flashback......ERRRR!!!!!

Fast Forward 15 years. Its time for little Johnny/Suzzy to go out and learn some life lessons, like 'GET A PART TIME JOB",........I'm Tired of you texting your friends on my dime........

So with your gentle encouragment, ;), they go out and start filling out job applications.

STOP the PRESSES:

Who actually is giving them these job applications? What's happening to these applications once the fill them out?

Here's how little Johnny and Suzzy get exploited.

Let's face it your kids first job is not going to require a degree from MIT. The appliation is not going to ask them to explain any quantom physics, or whats more effective, a short term adjustable or long term fixed......

Bottom line your kids trying to get a job at McDonalds, The Gap, etc....

Credit Theives luv your kids. Why? Because before you left the hospital you filled out a SS card on them and for the last 14-16 years they have been model tax payers, even though they don't pay taxes.

So these ID thieves walk into the local Fast Food Joint, or Popular Clothing store and make a deal with the swing manager to "BORROW" the latest Job Applications, for an hour or so. (If you think these are locked up in a safe, guess again. There thrown in a drawer next to yesterdays sale stickers or last weeks promo-scratch cards for a free burger.)

Of course the ID thieves are willing to pay a few hundred bucks for the , ahhh, rental of these applications, which they run down to the local copy center and make copies of.

How to protect little Johnny/Suzzy. Well, start out by explaining that the world is not thier Oyster, more like a sespool that they have to navigate through.

Teach them to no put there Social Security number on any job application. That they should put a notation on the application that the SS will be supplied at such time that a job offer will be made.

They should ask were job applications are stored and secured.

Let's face it chances are record keeping has not chagned. Apps are treated like delivery invoices. Thrown on or in the managers desk to be sorted out later by someone else)

Bottom line, the only time your kid needs to give a SS number with there first jobs is when ther filling out a W2, after the company has hired them. No-one is doing a background check on them, or a financial responsibilty check. It would be a pretty rare occassion if a bonding company needed to check your kid for there first job.

You do not HAVE to get your newborn baby a ssn at birth. That is called Enumeration at birth. If you look at the ssa.gov website, it even states that you do not have to have a ssn. I just had a baby 4 weeks ago and declined to have a ssn issued for her. If she wants to get one when she starts working, then that is her choice, but I was not going to have one issued. And ID theft was one of the reasons not to have one issued, but not the only reason.

You do not HAVE to get your newborn baby a ssn at birth. That is called Enumeration at birth. If you look at the ssa.gov website, it even states that you do not have to have a ssn. I just had a baby 4 weeks ago and declined to have a ssn issued for her. If she wants to get one when she starts working, then that is her choice, but I was not going to have one issued. And ID theft was one of the reasons not to have one issued, but not the only reason.

But I'm pretty sure you'll have to have one to get tax deductions. Right?

I have a 2 1/2 yr. old and a 17 year old, should I be concerned? And if so, what steps can I take to protect them? I'd be particularly concerned about 17 year old...she's lived in many foster homes and so MANY people had access to her SSN over the past 17 years. She's also developmentally delayed and won't ever use her own credit, probably, so her dad and I will have to keep a watch on it for her - should we check our girl's reports periodically?

You just can't trust that everything will be ok left unchecked these days.