~1100 collections bill from National Recovery Agency

tps8

I have a collections bill for medical services from the National Recovery Agency.

How can I bargain with them to reduce the bill? I am on SSI and have Medicaid insurance but was out of the state where my Medicaid is issued (I live in NY and the hospital is in Pennsylvania). The hospital told me they took out of state Medicaid and I then consented to treatment. Only because of that.

I want to reduce my bill. How much is possible. How do I go about it?

And I NEED any information of collections OFF my credit report. How do I get them to do this. Otherwise, I just won't pay it as they can't get any money from me: no assets and I am on government disability. I need it OFF so I can continue with college (I need college loans). I won't tell them that that is the reason, of course. But what is the best method to get them to reduce the total amount and to take off any bad dent in my credit on my credit report (this is the only bad thing, otherwise my credit is fine). I was just denied a private loan for college, so time is of the essence.

Thank you.

I spoke with the hospital and the guy was an *******. To say the least. He said that NYS Medicaid denied my claim. He said he'd run it again, but a week later, I got this letter.

So I'm stuck - and if I don't have my credit report fixed, I am ****ed as I can't continue college. I would like to set up some type of monthly bill arrangement with them. But I have no idea what to say and how to go about it. The most important thing is they remove any collection from my credit report so I can get the loans I need for college.

OK - I understand your frustration but there's no need for vulgar language.

I might want to try a nciely worded GW (goodwill letter) to the Hospital...the highest person you an find. Board of trustees perhaps...? :p

Go ahead and serach the site for example goodwill letters...you'll need to emphasize that the hospital TOLD YOU it would be covered...you feel cheated...stuff like that.

OK - I understand your frustration but there's no need for vulgar language.

I might want to try a nciely worded GW (goodwill letter) to the Hospital...the highest person you an find. Board of trustees perhaps...? :p

Go ahead and serach the site for example goodwill letters...you'll need to emphasize that the hospital TOLD YOU it would be covered...you feel cheated...stuff like that.

The hospital has sold the debt to a 3rd party collection agency now. They don't care.

What can I do about getting this off my credit report? That is my number 1 concern. If I can't get it off, I will declare bankruptcy and then the credit agency can't do anything. It really doesn't matter as I'm disabled and just going to college because I need to do something with my time. I'll never own a home or a car, so the effects of bankruptcy don't bother me. Is there *anything* I can do?

Well, neither is having this report on my credit report. Either way, I can't go to school because I can't secure a loan.

They gave it to the National Recovery Agency which is a collection agency so they must have sold it. I don't see how writing a board member is going to do any good since they no longer own the debt.

Well, if it is in the hands of a credit agency, why is a hospital going to care? They just want their money.

How do I find out if they sold the debt?

People have actually been successful with writing goodwill letters? I do feel cheated - I specifically spoke to the person who handles billing for the emergency department and they said they accept out of state Medicaid because they have to accept all state's Medicaid because they accept Pennsylvania's Medicaid. Not until then did I sign a form giving them permission to treat me. Why did I make sure? Because I didn't want a 1000 dollar bill I can't afford.

I feel like I am stuck - and I don't have years to resolve this problem. 8 months, at the absolute most.

What is standard that a collection agency will accept? 1/3 of the original amount? I need some type of bargaining power and some knowledge before I go ahead and proceed. These phone calls are getting annoying.

Well, if it is in the hands of a credit agency, why is a hospital going to care? They just want their money.

Exactly. They want money. The hospital should have no problem working with you if they think they are going to get your money

How do I find out if they sold the debt?

ask the OC if they still own it

People have actually been successful with writing goodwill letters?

YES! I am 2 for 2!

I do feel cheated - I specifically spoke to the person who handles billing for the emergency department and they said they accept out of state Medicaid because they have to accept all state's Medicaid because they accept Pennsylvania's Medicaid. Not until then did I sign a form giving them permission to treat me. Why did I make sure? Because I didn't want a 1000 dollar bill I can't afford.

I feel like I am stuck - and I don't have years to resolve this problem. 8 months, at the absolute most.

What is standard that a collection agency will accept? 1/3 of the original amount? I need some type of bargaining power and some knowledge before I go ahead and proceed. These phone calls are getting annoying.

It all depends.. But filing a BK is not gonna be any cheaper than paying the 1000 bucks. How is this bill being reported on your reports? HIPPA might come in to play and you can use that angle to get it OFF your reports. Have you spoken to your medicad plan? Perhaps a call to the people in charge of your states plan might be able to help (by paying the bill perhaps?) just explain to them that the hopsital told you that you where covered and see what they have to say.

It all depends.. But filing a BK is not gonna be any cheaper than paying the 1000 bucks. How is this bill being reported on your reports? HIPPA might come in to play and you can use that angle to get it OFF your reports. Have you spoken to your medicad plan? Perhaps a call to the people in charge of your states plan might be able to help (by paying the bill perhaps?) just explain to them that the hopsital told you that you where covered and see what they have to say.

I don't know how it is being reported, but I know they have dinged my credit report as I never had trouble getting a private loan and now the reason for my denial states clearly a negative item on my credit report. There could/is nothing else.

What does HIPAA have to do with this?

Once it is in the hands of the collection agency, why would they care if the insurance pays it? The insurance company won't pay a collection agency, right? And the collection agency will want their money. And the collection agency is the one who is ruining my credit.

If I call the hospital won't they just say "talk to the collection agency."?

I just need them to erase the negative item off my credit report, and find a way that I can make payments to pay this bill since they aren't going to say "forget it" - though I can write a goodwill letter, can I see what you sent? - just in case. I am broke, disabled, and felt cheated. And I *need* to be in college - otherwise, I feel I am wasting my life away. So what would you do? I was going to call them in the morning and see if I can bargain with them, but I don't even know how much authority they have in removing the negative item. How do I get them to do that? Of course everything said will have to be backed up in writing.

I don't know how it is being reported, but I know they have dinged my credit report as I never had trouble getting a private loan and now the reason for my denial states clearly a negative item on my credit report. There could/is nothing else.

What does HIPAA have to do with this?

It has EVERYTHING to do with this as it deals with privacy and medical items

Once it is in the hands of the collection agency, why would they care if the insurance pays it?

The insurance company has a LOT more pull with the OC than you do.

The insurance company won't pay a collection agency, right?

Stop making assumptions and call the insurance company to find out for sure.

And the collection agency will want their money. And the collection agency is the one who is ruining my credit.

A collection agency can not verify a debt if you paid the OC so if you, your insurance company or god can get the OC to accept payment (and give you proof) a dispute will do away with the CA or give you a actionable violation.

If I call the hospital won't they just say "talk to the collection agency."?

Perhaps.. Play the hospital right, I didn't know about the bill, that mean nasty CA is rude to me and hung up on me. Pull on some heart strings

I just need them to erase the negative item off my credit report, and find a way that I can make payments to pay this bill since they aren't going to say "forget it" - though I can write a goodwill letter, can I see what you sent? - just in case. I am broke, disabled, and felt cheated. And I *need* to be in college - otherwise, I feel I am wasting my life away. So what would you do?

See above. I've been around here a while. The suggestions I am making do work, and have worked for people here. I have never had to deal with medical stuff but I have read enough to know that HIPPA is a powerful tool for you to use against the collector. I also know that hospitals are a lot more flexible than a regular creditor.

I was going to call them in the morning and see if I can bargain with them, but I don't even know how much authority they have in removing the negative item. How do I get them to do that? Of course everything said will have to be backed up in writing.

They have all the authority in the world. If you can get the hospital to work directly with you they will pull the account back from the CA and this will force the CA to delete their info.

And get a copy of your report! they are free if you have not got one in the past year from the annual credit report site.

Another angle you may want to consider since you have limited income is to

talk to the hospital to see if they have an indigent care fund that may assist

you with the bill.

If they do they may pull it back from the collection agency and work directly

with you. I have help my MIL do this exact thing several times in the past.

Our hospital is a "non profit" and that may make the difference as well.

Paul